May 15, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
One day after emphatically shooting down Alex Semin’s return to Washington, agent Mark Gandler clarified his remarks.
“The team has to change the direction, the organization,” Gandler told the Washington Times. “And if they choose how they’re going to do business, that’s fine. But Alex is not prepared to continue in this role.”
Semin, 28, was displeased with how the Capitals utilized him this past season. Gandler said things got “a little worse” after Dale Hunter took over from Bruce Boudreau (funny, because one of Boudreau’s final moves as head coach was to make Semin a healthy scratch) but said the coach wasn’t the major issue.
It was the organization.
“If they continue the same path, they’ll choose a coach that subscribes to that philosophy,” Gandler said. “Whoever the coach is going to be is not as important as what the management decides on the direction of the team for the next number of years.”
Gandler also re-iterated a number of things he said yesterday to ESPN’s Craig Custance:
– That Semin was bothered by barely playing on the penalty kill, 4-on-4 and at the end of games.
– They’re done with signing one-year deals (Semin’s agreed to them for each of the last two seasons.)
– The perception of Semin as “lazy or a “slacker” is wrong and unjustified.
– The next deal will be about term and direction of the team, then money.
Gandler also stated Semin isn’t considering going to the KHL.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)