May 15, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
One day after emphatically shooting down Alex Semin’s return to Washington, agent Mark Gandler clarified his remarks.
“The team has to change the direction, the organization,” Gandler told the Washington Times. “And if they choose how they’re going to do business, that’s fine. But Alex is not prepared to continue in this role.”
Semin, 28, was displeased with how the Capitals utilized him this past season. Gandler said things got “a little worse” after Dale Hunter took over from Bruce Boudreau (funny, because one of Boudreau’s final moves as head coach was to make Semin a healthy scratch) but said the coach wasn’t the major issue.
It was the organization.
“If they continue the same path, they’ll choose a coach that subscribes to that philosophy,” Gandler said. “Whoever the coach is going to be is not as important as what the management decides on the direction of the team for the next number of years.”
Gandler also re-iterated a number of things he said yesterday to ESPN’s Craig Custance:
— That Semin was bothered by barely playing on the penalty kill, 4-on-4 and at the end of games.
— They’re done with signing one-year deals (Semin’s agreed to them for each of the last two seasons.)
— The perception of Semin as “lazy or a “slacker” is wrong and unjustified.
— The next deal will be about term and direction of the team, then money.
Gandler also stated Semin isn’t considering going to the KHL.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 7
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)