May 15, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
One day after emphatically shooting down Alex Semin’s return to Washington, agent Mark Gandler clarified his remarks.
“The team has to change the direction, the organization,” Gandler told the Washington Times. “And if they choose how they’re going to do business, that’s fine. But Alex is not prepared to continue in this role.”
Semin, 28, was displeased with how the Capitals utilized him this past season. Gandler said things got “a little worse” after Dale Hunter took over from Bruce Boudreau (funny, because one of Boudreau’s final moves as head coach was to make Semin a healthy scratch) but said the coach wasn’t the major issue.
It was the organization.
“If they continue the same path, they’ll choose a coach that subscribes to that philosophy,” Gandler said. “Whoever the coach is going to be is not as important as what the management decides on the direction of the team for the next number of years.”
Gandler also re-iterated a number of things he said yesterday to ESPN’s Craig Custance:
– That Semin was bothered by barely playing on the penalty kill, 4-on-4 and at the end of games.
– They’re done with signing one-year deals (Semin’s agreed to them for each of the last two seasons.)
– The perception of Semin as “lazy or a “slacker” is wrong and unjustified.
– The next deal will be about term and direction of the team, then money.
Gandler also stated Semin isn’t considering going to the KHL.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)