May 15, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
One day after emphatically shooting down Alex Semin’s return to Washington, agent Mark Gandler clarified his remarks.
“The team has to change the direction, the organization,” Gandler told the Washington Times. “And if they choose how they’re going to do business, that’s fine. But Alex is not prepared to continue in this role.”
Semin, 28, was displeased with how the Capitals utilized him this past season. Gandler said things got “a little worse” after Dale Hunter took over from Bruce Boudreau (funny, because one of Boudreau’s final moves as head coach was to make Semin a healthy scratch) but said the coach wasn’t the major issue.
It was the organization.
“If they continue the same path, they’ll choose a coach that subscribes to that philosophy,” Gandler said. “Whoever the coach is going to be is not as important as what the management decides on the direction of the team for the next number of years.”
Gandler also re-iterated a number of things he said yesterday to ESPN’s Craig Custance:
— That Semin was bothered by barely playing on the penalty kill, 4-on-4 and at the end of games.
— They’re done with signing one-year deals (Semin’s agreed to them for each of the last two seasons.)
— The perception of Semin as “lazy or a “slacker” is wrong and unjustified.
— The next deal will be about term and direction of the team, then money.
Gandler also stated Semin isn’t considering going to the KHL.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)