May 15, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
One day after emphatically shooting down Alex Semin’s return to Washington, agent Mark Gandler clarified his remarks.
“The team has to change the direction, the organization,” Gandler told the Washington Times. “And if they choose how they’re going to do business, that’s fine. But Alex is not prepared to continue in this role.”
Semin, 28, was displeased with how the Capitals utilized him this past season. Gandler said things got “a little worse” after Dale Hunter took over from Bruce Boudreau (funny, because one of Boudreau’s final moves as head coach was to make Semin a healthy scratch) but said the coach wasn’t the major issue.
It was the organization.
“If they continue the same path, they’ll choose a coach that subscribes to that philosophy,” Gandler said. “Whoever the coach is going to be is not as important as what the management decides on the direction of the team for the next number of years.”
Gandler also re-iterated a number of things he said yesterday to ESPN’s Craig Custance:
– That Semin was bothered by barely playing on the penalty kill, 4-on-4 and at the end of games.
– They’re done with signing one-year deals (Semin’s agreed to them for each of the last two seasons.)
– The perception of Semin as “lazy or a “slacker” is wrong and unjustified.
– The next deal will be about term and direction of the team, then money.
Gandler also stated Semin isn’t considering going to the KHL.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 24
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 48
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 80
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires