May 15, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
As far as anecdotes go, Mike Rupp is becoming the MVP of the Eastern Conference finals.
A former Devil now plying his trade with the Rangers, Rupp has been a go-to quote machine for anything involving the Hudson River Rivalry.
So, what about the Stanley Cup ring he won with New Jersey in 2003?
No big deal, he tells Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun.
“That thing is put away,” Rupp said. “I have not looked at it for a while. I think it’s something I will cherish more once I am done playing.”
Rupp was brought to New York partly because of what he did in 2003. This past summer, the Rangers made a concerted effort to bring aboard guys with winning pedigrees that had a history of coming up big in big moments, like Brad Richards and Ruslan Fedotenko.
Richards scored seven game-winning goals en route to the 2004 Conn Smythe trophy. Fedotenko scored both goals in Tampa’s 2-1 Game 7 victory in the Cup finals that same year.
Rupp’s best known as the guy that scored the game-winning goal against Anaheim in 2003. But his performance was more than just one goal — after sitting out the entire postseason, the Devils summoned him for the final four games of the Cup final, and Rupp responded by scoring four points.
He seemed destined for a career of postseason success…but it didn’t exactly turn out that way.
“That was my first year in the league, and to able to win a Cup, I thought I was going to be playing for it multiple times,” Rupp explained. “And this is the first time I have got back to the final four.”
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 43
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)