May 15, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
As far as anecdotes go, Mike Rupp is becoming the MVP of the Eastern Conference finals.
A former Devil now plying his trade with the Rangers, Rupp has been a go-to quote machine for anything involving the Hudson River Rivalry.
So, what about the Stanley Cup ring he won with New Jersey in 2003?
No big deal, he tells Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun.
“That thing is put away,” Rupp said. “I have not looked at it for a while. I think it’s something I will cherish more once I am done playing.”
Rupp was brought to New York partly because of what he did in 2003. This past summer, the Rangers made a concerted effort to bring aboard guys with winning pedigrees that had a history of coming up big in big moments, like Brad Richards and Ruslan Fedotenko.
Richards scored seven game-winning goals en route to the 2004 Conn Smythe trophy. Fedotenko scored both goals in Tampa’s 2-1 Game 7 victory in the Cup finals that same year.
Rupp’s best known as the guy that scored the game-winning goal against Anaheim in 2003. But his performance was more than just one goal — after sitting out the entire postseason, the Devils summoned him for the final four games of the Cup final, and Rupp responded by scoring four points.
He seemed destined for a career of postseason success…but it didn’t exactly turn out that way.
“That was my first year in the league, and to able to win a Cup, I thought I was going to be playing for it multiple times,” Rupp explained. “And this is the first time I have got back to the final four.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)