May 15, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
More, from The Post:
Hejduk, the Avs’ 36-year-old captain who suffered through a terrible second half, would like to return for another season. If not with the Avs – which is his overwhelming preference – I’m told there is a chance he’d consider, gulp, signing with another team when/if he becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1.
How much of a chance, I don’t know. Hejduk is keeping his mouth shut for now, but I know there have been discussions between the Avs and his agent, Jiri Crha. Guaranteed, Hejduk would get an offer from a few teams if he goes on the open market. He would not want to uproot his family, which include two young sons, from Denver and there is a chance he’d just retire rather than do that if the Avs don’t want him.
Hejduk has spent his entire 13-year career with the Avs and sits fourth all-time in franchise scoring behind Hall-of-Famers Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet and soon-to-be HOFer Joe Sakic.
He was awarded the “C” in November — becoming just the third captain in Avalanche history — though the captaincy coincided with one of his worst seasons ever. He failed to score 20 goals for the first time since 1999, averaged just 17 minutes a game and fell to fourth-line duty late in the year.
Hejduk has re-upped with Colorado in consecutive seasons on one-year deals. The first, signed in 2010, was for $3 million; the second (2011) was for $2.6 million.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)