May 15, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
More, from The Post:
Hejduk, the Avs’ 36-year-old captain who suffered through a terrible second half, would like to return for another season. If not with the Avs – which is his overwhelming preference – I’m told there is a chance he’d consider, gulp, signing with another team when/if he becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1.
How much of a chance, I don’t know. Hejduk is keeping his mouth shut for now, but I know there have been discussions between the Avs and his agent, Jiri Crha. Guaranteed, Hejduk would get an offer from a few teams if he goes on the open market. He would not want to uproot his family, which include two young sons, from Denver and there is a chance he’d just retire rather than do that if the Avs don’t want him.
Hejduk has spent his entire 13-year career with the Avs and sits fourth all-time in franchise scoring behind Hall-of-Famers Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet and soon-to-be HOFer Joe Sakic.
He was awarded the “C” in November — becoming just the third captain in Avalanche history — though the captaincy coincided with one of his worst seasons ever. He failed to score 20 goals for the first time since 1999, averaged just 17 minutes a game and fell to fourth-line duty late in the year.
Hejduk has re-upped with Colorado in consecutive seasons on one-year deals. The first, signed in 2010, was for $3 million; the second (2011) was for $2.6 million.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)