May 15, 2012, 5:05 PM EST
More, from The Post:
Hejduk, the Avs’ 36-year-old captain who suffered through a terrible second half, would like to return for another season. If not with the Avs – which is his overwhelming preference – I’m told there is a chance he’d consider, gulp, signing with another team when/if he becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1.
How much of a chance, I don’t know. Hejduk is keeping his mouth shut for now, but I know there have been discussions between the Avs and his agent, Jiri Crha. Guaranteed, Hejduk would get an offer from a few teams if he goes on the open market. He would not want to uproot his family, which include two young sons, from Denver and there is a chance he’d just retire rather than do that if the Avs don’t want him.
Hejduk has spent his entire 13-year career with the Avs and sits fourth all-time in franchise scoring behind Hall-of-Famers Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet and soon-to-be HOFer Joe Sakic.
He was awarded the “C” in November — becoming just the third captain in Avalanche history — though the captaincy coincided with one of his worst seasons ever. He failed to score 20 goals for the first time since 1999, averaged just 17 minutes a game and fell to fourth-line duty late in the year.
Hejduk has re-upped with Colorado in consecutive seasons on one-year deals. The first, signed in 2010, was for $3 million; the second (2011) was for $2.6 million.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4