Paul Hornung tells Patrick Kane to be careful: “These kids carry knives and guns and all that kind of stuff”
May 15, 2012, 1:51 PM EST
The annual Patrick Kane intervention took an odd turn on Monday when 76-year-old Pro Football Hall of Famer Paul Hornung weighed in.
“You’ve just got to be careful that you don’t get into any trouble,” Hornung told the Chicago Tribune. “So many of these kids carry knives and guns and all that kind of stuff today that it is kind of frightening. Those kind of actions are just a complete no-no. You just can’t be in the wrong spot at the wrong time.”
While Kane seemingly lives for being in the wrong spots at the wrong times (most recently, the University of Wisconsin during Cinco de Mayo) he’s yet to reach the stage of weapons being brandished. Generally speaking, Kane party pictures are more “keg stands with some bros” than “jumped into a street gang.”
Hornung might’ve been a bit off the mark there, but the former Green Bay Packers star did make a salient point.
“You know as an athlete which places to stay out of. Lombardi put four or five places off limits,” said Hornung, who lives in Louisville, Ky. “The players know the places where they should and shouldn’t go.”
This is the issue a lot of Chicago media has with Kane. Why must all his partying be done so publicly, so brazenly?
“No one is saying he needs to turn into the Church Lady, but he doesn’t always have to be Mr. Party,” wrote Rick Morrissey of the Sun-Times. “Not every outing has to be a public spectacle.”
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 20
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 33
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)