Paul Hornung tells Patrick Kane to be careful: “These kids carry knives and guns and all that kind of stuff”
May 15, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT
The annual Patrick Kane intervention took an odd turn on Monday when 76-year-old Pro Football Hall of Famer Paul Hornung weighed in.
“You’ve just got to be careful that you don’t get into any trouble,” Hornung told the Chicago Tribune. “So many of these kids carry knives and guns and all that kind of stuff today that it is kind of frightening. Those kind of actions are just a complete no-no. You just can’t be in the wrong spot at the wrong time.”
While Kane seemingly lives for being in the wrong spots at the wrong times (most recently, the University of Wisconsin during Cinco de Mayo) he’s yet to reach the stage of weapons being brandished. Generally speaking, Kane party pictures are more “keg stands with some bros” than “jumped into a street gang.”
Hornung might’ve been a bit off the mark there, but the former Green Bay Packers star did make a salient point.
“You know as an athlete which places to stay out of. Lombardi put four or five places off limits,” said Hornung, who lives in Louisville, Ky. “The players know the places where they should and shouldn’t go.”
This is the issue a lot of Chicago media has with Kane. Why must all his partying be done so publicly, so brazenly?
“No one is saying he needs to turn into the Church Lady, but he doesn’t always have to be Mr. Party,” wrote Rick Morrissey of the Sun-Times. “Not every outing has to be a public spectacle.”
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)