May 15, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
If you are a Los Angeles resident with a love for all things sport and a tolerance for mass transportation, this weekend might just be the best of your life. Patrick Rishe discusses the impact that playoff games for the Los Angeles Kings, Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers plus plenty of other sporting events might have on the city.
10 pro sporting events in 4 days, 6 of which are playoff contests.
3 facilities. Dodger Stadium, among the most historic in the game with arguably one of the best scenic daytime views from behind home plate you’ll find anywhere in baseball. Staples Center, whose surrounding neighborhood has improved in ambiance and entertainment offerings. Home Depot Center, which for me is one of the top 3 soccer-only facilities in America.
Savor the flavor, L.A. sports fans. This is a Haley’s Comet of sports that likely won’t happen to quite this same magnitude for years.
For the most part, Rishe is likely correct that it won’t happen to “this same magnitude” often, but I wouldn’t be shocked if glorious playoff congestion becomes more frequent. Chris Paul is arguably the best point guard in the NBA and Blake Griffin is a human highlight reel for the Clippers. The Lakers are the Lakers; they’ll probably find a way to stick in the thick of things even as Kobe Bryant’s mileage accrues. And when you look at the Kings’ roster, it’s clear that this team is stocked with players who are either in their primes or entering those years, with a few defensive stalwarts such as Willie Mitchell representing a few exceptions.
That doesn’t mean the three teams will cause perennial traffic headaches and a buffet of sporting options in future May weekends, but Staples Center has a chance to become one of the busiest buildings in sports going forward.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 11
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 18
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car