May 15, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
If you are a Los Angeles resident with a love for all things sport and a tolerance for mass transportation, this weekend might just be the best of your life. Patrick Rishe discusses the impact that playoff games for the Los Angeles Kings, Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers plus plenty of other sporting events might have on the city.
10 pro sporting events in 4 days, 6 of which are playoff contests.
3 facilities. Dodger Stadium, among the most historic in the game with arguably one of the best scenic daytime views from behind home plate you’ll find anywhere in baseball. Staples Center, whose surrounding neighborhood has improved in ambiance and entertainment offerings. Home Depot Center, which for me is one of the top 3 soccer-only facilities in America.
Savor the flavor, L.A. sports fans. This is a Haley’s Comet of sports that likely won’t happen to quite this same magnitude for years.
For the most part, Rishe is likely correct that it won’t happen to “this same magnitude” often, but I wouldn’t be shocked if glorious playoff congestion becomes more frequent. Chris Paul is arguably the best point guard in the NBA and Blake Griffin is a human highlight reel for the Clippers. The Lakers are the Lakers; they’ll probably find a way to stick in the thick of things even as Kobe Bryant’s mileage accrues. And when you look at the Kings’ roster, it’s clear that this team is stocked with players who are either in their primes or entering those years, with a few defensive stalwarts such as Willie Mitchell representing a few exceptions.
That doesn’t mean the three teams will cause perennial traffic headaches and a buffet of sporting options in future May weekends, but Staples Center has a chance to become one of the busiest buildings in sports going forward.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 11
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 36
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 32
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21