May 15, 2012, 8:15 PM EST
If you are a Los Angeles resident with a love for all things sport and a tolerance for mass transportation, this weekend might just be the best of your life. Patrick Rishe discusses the impact that playoff games for the Los Angeles Kings, Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers plus plenty of other sporting events might have on the city.
10 pro sporting events in 4 days, 6 of which are playoff contests.
3 facilities. Dodger Stadium, among the most historic in the game with arguably one of the best scenic daytime views from behind home plate you’ll find anywhere in baseball. Staples Center, whose surrounding neighborhood has improved in ambiance and entertainment offerings. Home Depot Center, which for me is one of the top 3 soccer-only facilities in America.
Savor the flavor, L.A. sports fans. This is a Haley’s Comet of sports that likely won’t happen to quite this same magnitude for years.
For the most part, Rishe is likely correct that it won’t happen to “this same magnitude” often, but I wouldn’t be shocked if glorious playoff congestion becomes more frequent. Chris Paul is arguably the best point guard in the NBA and Blake Griffin is a human highlight reel for the Clippers. The Lakers are the Lakers; they’ll probably find a way to stick in the thick of things even as Kobe Bryant’s mileage accrues. And when you look at the Kings’ roster, it’s clear that this team is stocked with players who are either in their primes or entering those years, with a few defensive stalwarts such as Willie Mitchell representing a few exceptions.
That doesn’t mean the three teams will cause perennial traffic headaches and a buffet of sporting options in future May weekends, but Staples Center has a chance to become one of the busiest buildings in sports going forward.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 33
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 8
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28