May 15, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
As pointed out by ESPN’s John Buccigross, the Los Angeles Kings are one of six teams in NHL history to win at least eight consecutive road playoff games.
The streak dates back to last postseason, when L.A. won Games 2 and 5 at San Jose before losing the series in six.
This postseason the Kings won three times in Vancouver, twice in St. Louis and, with a Game 1 victory in Phoenix on Sunday, joined the 1982-83 New York Islanders, 1948-50 Toronto Maple Leafs, 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens, 1995-97 New Jersey Devils and 1986-87 Edmonton Oilers in NHL lore.
Tonight, the Kings have a chance to separate themselves from (most of) the pack.
The 82-83 Islanders are the only team to have won more than eight straight on the road — they went nine — and with a win at Jobing.com, Los Angeles will be right there.
The Kings are also within striking distance of another record for consecutive road wins in a single playoff season. The NHL record seven — last achieved by Chicago in 2010 — and L.A. is sitting on six.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 11
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 18
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car