May 15, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
As pointed out by ESPN’s John Buccigross, the Los Angeles Kings are one of six teams in NHL history to win at least eight consecutive road playoff games.
The streak dates back to last postseason, when L.A. won Games 2 and 5 at San Jose before losing the series in six.
This postseason the Kings won three times in Vancouver, twice in St. Louis and, with a Game 1 victory in Phoenix on Sunday, joined the 1982-83 New York Islanders, 1948-50 Toronto Maple Leafs, 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens, 1995-97 New Jersey Devils and 1986-87 Edmonton Oilers in NHL lore.
Tonight, the Kings have a chance to separate themselves from (most of) the pack.
The 82-83 Islanders are the only team to have won more than eight straight on the road — they went nine — and with a win at Jobing.com, Los Angeles will be right there.
The Kings are also within striking distance of another record for consecutive road wins in a single playoff season. The NHL record seven — last achieved by Chicago in 2010 — and L.A. is sitting on six.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)