May 15, 2012, 11:44 AM EST
Much has been made of the minimal travel Phoenix and Los Angeles will undergo in the Western Conference finals.
With just an hour-long flight separating the two cities, both the Kings and Coyotes players seem pleased avoiding situations like the 2010 final (Chicago vs. San Jose, 1835 miles apart) and 2007 (Anaheim vs. Detroit, 1968 miles apart.)
One player that’s really pleased? Kings forward Dustin Penner.
“It’s a nice change to stay close to home,” Penner told the LA Times. “You don’t have to take Ambien to get down. You can enjoy a natural sleep.”
(Tiger Woods says: “You should take it anyway!”)
Penner was part of that 2007 Ducks team that made two cross-country flights to the Motor City. As such, he’s gained a newfound appreciation for short travel and developed a bit of jealousy towards Eastern Conference teams.
“I don’t think the East teams know how lucky they are sometimes, staying in their own time zone,” Penner said. “One-hour flights are usually the max. They can even go by train.”
Or in the case of the Devils and Rangers, ferry.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)