May 15, 2012, 11:44 AM EDT
Much has been made of the minimal travel Phoenix and Los Angeles will undergo in the Western Conference finals.
With just an hour-long flight separating the two cities, both the Kings and Coyotes players seem pleased avoiding situations like the 2010 final (Chicago vs. San Jose, 1835 miles apart) and 2007 (Anaheim vs. Detroit, 1968 miles apart.)
One player that’s really pleased? Kings forward Dustin Penner.
“It’s a nice change to stay close to home,” Penner told the LA Times. “You don’t have to take Ambien to get down. You can enjoy a natural sleep.”
(Tiger Woods says: “You should take it anyway!”)
Penner was part of that 2007 Ducks team that made two cross-country flights to the Motor City. As such, he’s gained a newfound appreciation for short travel and developed a bit of jealousy towards Eastern Conference teams.
“I don’t think the East teams know how lucky they are sometimes, staying in their own time zone,” Penner said. “One-hour flights are usually the max. They can even go by train.”
Or in the case of the Devils and Rangers, ferry.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 14
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 68
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks