May 15, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
We’ve gotten more than used to seeing Daniel Alfredsson sporting the captain’s “C” on the ice for the Ottawa Senators over the years. Might we have to start adjusting to seeing him in a suit behind the bench though? If Alfredsson gets his way, it’ll happen someday.
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun hears from Alfredsson who says being a head coach in the future is something he’s hoping to do, just not any time soon.
“I don’t see myself coaching too soon,” said Alfredsson. “I think it takes even more time at the rink than it does as a player to prepare! (He chuckles) Right now, I don’t think I’m ready for that.”
Alfredsson says he’s always picking coaches brains about what they’re doing and why they made the adjustments they did and he says he also likes the thought of being able to challenge and motivate guys. Considering the respect Alfredsson commands in the room as it is, a move to coaching is a natural fit. As for that whole retirement thing he’s mulling over, he’s still yet to make a decision there.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)