May 15, 2012, 7:42 PM EDT
With two warm weather markets still kicking around the 2012 playoffs and summer in full swing, ice crews are in for some big challenges. Game 2 of the Western Conference finals pits the Los Angeles Kings against the Phoenix Coyotes in Glendale, AZ, where it’s currently more than 100 degrees outside Jobing.com.
The Associated Press shares some interesting bits from the Coyotes’ ice crew.
Ice technician Jim Hanlon had a refreshingly simple explanation of what makes for good ice.
“We watch how the puck slides on the ice,” Hanlon said. “If it slides well, we know it’s good ice.”
Meanwhile, Coyotes defenseman Derek Morris doesn’t deny the difficulties, but instead reasonably remarks that it’s an issue in a lot of places once summer rolls around.
“Nashville’s was no better. Chicago’s was no better. L.A.’s won’t be any better,” Morris said. “It’s just that time of year where you’ve got to grind through the bad ice.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)