May 15, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Claude Giroux‘s postseason ended in disappointment, but before that, his 93-point regular season and impressive output against the Pittsburgh Penguins showed why the Philadelphia Flyers passed him the torch. The greater Philly sporting populace noticed, too, as he became third Flyers player to ever win the prestigious John Wanamaker Award, edging out other great athletes such as Philadelphia Eagles running back LeSean McCoy and boxer Bernard Hopkins.
“This year’s recipients are wonderful representatives of the caliber of individuals in the Philadelphia sports community,” said Dave Montgomery, the chairman of the Philadelphia Sports Congress. “Claude Giroux is not only an outstanding player, but he also has emerged as a true leader for the Flyers.”
Giroux is the first Flyers player to win the award since the “Broad Street Bullies” era dominated the city. Bobby Clarke (1974), Bernie Parent (1975) and coach Fred Shero (1976) took home the Wanamaker during that memorable run. To give you an idea of how big of a deal the award is, Philadelphia Phillies ace Roy Halladay took home the 2011 edition.
Peter Laviolette took a lot of grief for calling Giroux the best player in the world, but for one year, he apparently was the best athlete in the city.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)