May 15, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
The impending RFA was busy…wrangling cattle.
Price drove up to Vernon, B.C., a 50-minute jaunt north of his summer home in Kelowna, callusing his palms to earn about $600 (after his $80 entry fee) in the second annual Louis Estates Lucky 7’s team steer-roping event.
My Friday text-message to Price was returned late afternoon with this reply:
“Little busy lol call you in a bit,” accompanied by a photo of his left hand gripping a green nylon rope and the reins of Fuzz, his Quarter Horse whose mane and alert, pricked ears were sharply focused in his camera-phone snapshot.
After recovering from a late-season concussion and forgoing Team Canada duties at the World Hockey Championships, Price seems to be enjoying his cowboy summer. He told Stubbs that, despite uncertainty surrounding his contract status, he feels no pressure to get anything done soon.
“I’m really not the type of guy who’s going to push everything to get it done faster,” he explained. “We’re trying to build a team here and we want to build it the right way.
“Rushing decisions isn’t the right way to do it.”
Price’s agent, Gerry Johansson, has already begun talks with new Habs GM Marc Bergevin. The real question will be what kind of term Bergevin wants to give the three-time All-Star — at 24, Price is one of the best young goalies in the league, so a lengthy deal might be the way to go.
Price isn’t worried about that, either.
“I’m pretty confident we’ll get something done,” he said.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 4
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 7
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)