May 15, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
The impending RFA was busy…wrangling cattle.
Price drove up to Vernon, B.C., a 50-minute jaunt north of his summer home in Kelowna, callusing his palms to earn about $600 (after his $80 entry fee) in the second annual Louis Estates Lucky 7’s team steer-roping event.
My Friday text-message to Price was returned late afternoon with this reply:
“Little busy lol call you in a bit,” accompanied by a photo of his left hand gripping a green nylon rope and the reins of Fuzz, his Quarter Horse whose mane and alert, pricked ears were sharply focused in his camera-phone snapshot.
After recovering from a late-season concussion and forgoing Team Canada duties at the World Hockey Championships, Price seems to be enjoying his cowboy summer. He told Stubbs that, despite uncertainty surrounding his contract status, he feels no pressure to get anything done soon.
“I’m really not the type of guy who’s going to push everything to get it done faster,” he explained. “We’re trying to build a team here and we want to build it the right way.
“Rushing decisions isn’t the right way to do it.”
Price’s agent, Gerry Johansson, has already begun talks with new Habs GM Marc Bergevin. The real question will be what kind of term Bergevin wants to give the three-time All-Star — at 24, Price is one of the best young goalies in the league, so a lengthy deal might be the way to go.
Price isn’t worried about that, either.
“I’m pretty confident we’ll get something done,” he said.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)