May 15, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
The impending RFA was busy…wrangling cattle.
Price drove up to Vernon, B.C., a 50-minute jaunt north of his summer home in Kelowna, callusing his palms to earn about $600 (after his $80 entry fee) in the second annual Louis Estates Lucky 7’s team steer-roping event.
My Friday text-message to Price was returned late afternoon with this reply:
“Little busy lol call you in a bit,” accompanied by a photo of his left hand gripping a green nylon rope and the reins of Fuzz, his Quarter Horse whose mane and alert, pricked ears were sharply focused in his camera-phone snapshot.
After recovering from a late-season concussion and forgoing Team Canada duties at the World Hockey Championships, Price seems to be enjoying his cowboy summer. He told Stubbs that, despite uncertainty surrounding his contract status, he feels no pressure to get anything done soon.
“I’m really not the type of guy who’s going to push everything to get it done faster,” he explained. “We’re trying to build a team here and we want to build it the right way.
“Rushing decisions isn’t the right way to do it.”
Price’s agent, Gerry Johansson, has already begun talks with new Habs GM Marc Bergevin. The real question will be what kind of term Bergevin wants to give the three-time All-Star — at 24, Price is one of the best young goalies in the league, so a lengthy deal might be the way to go.
Price isn’t worried about that, either.
“I’m pretty confident we’ll get something done,” he said.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)