May 15, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
You could sense Martin Brodeur was frustrated after the Rangers blocked 26 shots in Monday’s 3-0 Game 1 victory.
When a reporter asked Brodeur what he thought of Henrik Lundqvist‘s performance, he replied “I saw him [only] about 10 minutes of the game because there were so many Ranger players in front of him.”
Today Brodeur was back talking blocked shots, though his analysis was a little more analytical.
“Whatever brings success is what you need to do,” he said of New York’s ability to block shots. “I know it’s probably not the most exciting brand of hockey. But it’s really effective.
“And, again, they got it in people’s heads by doing what they’re doing, and they’re tough to play against because of that.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
You can call it patience on the part of Washington, sure, but there’s also the part where New York directly alters the course of action. Green is a shooter — he once scored 31 goals in a season and had three seasons of 200-plus shots — but was hesitant to pull the trigger against the Rangers.
And if you’re wondering why the Rangers’ shot blocking is in opponent’s heads, consider this — it’s in their own heads.
“That’s the identity of our team. And everyone’s buying into it. And it’s kind of our defensive philosophy,” Dan Girardi explained. “When we’re in our own end, we want to keep everything tight, and once we get to the point we like to get in shot lanes and try to prevent shots that way. And when there’s a breakdown, guys are diving in front of shots and I think it’s our game now.
“Everyone’s just doing it and no one’s really thinking about it. It’s kind of our first reaction.”
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)