May 15, 2012, 12:54 AM EST
Plenty of Washington Capitals players are upset that Dale Hunter decided to leave, but Alex Ovechkin probably won’t convince many that he’s one of them. Yet there’s something else Ovechkin would like to see change in Washington, according to these mysterious comments via Stephen Whyno.
“I don’t know who’s going to be the coach next year but the leaders in this group have to be together and don’t look, you know. … I don’t know how to explain better, but sometimes you don’t have to be jealous,” Ovechkin said. “I don’t want to say it was a jealous situation for us, but sometimes you just have to be a group together.”
Well, that’s interesting and more than a little cryptic. Whyno pried a little further to try to get more from Ovechkin on the subject of “jealousy.”
“I don’t want to say persons, I don’t want to say situations, but sometimes you just know like, some guys, if you didn’t play well they just look at you like, you know,” Ovechkin said. “Of course, you can see it, I can see it and somebody else gonna see it and it’s not the way we gonna win the game.”
Well, that’s interesting … and rather cryptic. What’s more fun is to guess which “persons” and/or “situations” Ovechkin is referencing. I’ll leave that speculation to you,* but it’s obvious that the Capitals hope to make some serious changes going forward.
* – I’ll admit that I’d love to use an awful pun like “Mike Green with envy,” though. Oof that’s bad.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 56
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 34
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 32
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 132
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (132)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)