May 15, 2012, 12:54 AM EST
Plenty of Washington Capitals players are upset that Dale Hunter decided to leave, but Alex Ovechkin probably won’t convince many that he’s one of them. Yet there’s something else Ovechkin would like to see change in Washington, according to these mysterious comments via Stephen Whyno.
“I don’t know who’s going to be the coach next year but the leaders in this group have to be together and don’t look, you know. … I don’t know how to explain better, but sometimes you don’t have to be jealous,” Ovechkin said. “I don’t want to say it was a jealous situation for us, but sometimes you just have to be a group together.”
Well, that’s interesting and more than a little cryptic. Whyno pried a little further to try to get more from Ovechkin on the subject of “jealousy.”
“I don’t want to say persons, I don’t want to say situations, but sometimes you just know like, some guys, if you didn’t play well they just look at you like, you know,” Ovechkin said. “Of course, you can see it, I can see it and somebody else gonna see it and it’s not the way we gonna win the game.”
Well, that’s interesting … and rather cryptic. What’s more fun is to guess which “persons” and/or “situations” Ovechkin is referencing. I’ll leave that speculation to you,* but it’s obvious that the Capitals hope to make some serious changes going forward.
* – I’ll admit that I’d love to use an awful pun like “Mike Green with envy,” though. Oof that’s bad.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)