May 15, 2012, 12:54 AM EDT
Plenty of Washington Capitals players are upset that Dale Hunter decided to leave, but Alex Ovechkin probably won’t convince many that he’s one of them. Yet there’s something else Ovechkin would like to see change in Washington, according to these mysterious comments via Stephen Whyno.
“I don’t know who’s going to be the coach next year but the leaders in this group have to be together and don’t look, you know. … I don’t know how to explain better, but sometimes you don’t have to be jealous,” Ovechkin said. “I don’t want to say it was a jealous situation for us, but sometimes you just have to be a group together.”
Well, that’s interesting and more than a little cryptic. Whyno pried a little further to try to get more from Ovechkin on the subject of “jealousy.”
“I don’t want to say persons, I don’t want to say situations, but sometimes you just know like, some guys, if you didn’t play well they just look at you like, you know,” Ovechkin said. “Of course, you can see it, I can see it and somebody else gonna see it and it’s not the way we gonna win the game.”
Well, that’s interesting … and rather cryptic. What’s more fun is to guess which “persons” and/or “situations” Ovechkin is referencing. I’ll leave that speculation to you,* but it’s obvious that the Capitals hope to make some serious changes going forward.
* – I’ll admit that I’d love to use an awful pun like “Mike Green with envy,” though. Oof that’s bad.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)