May 15, 2012, 12:54 AM EDT
Plenty of Washington Capitals players are upset that Dale Hunter decided to leave, but Alex Ovechkin probably won’t convince many that he’s one of them. Yet there’s something else Ovechkin would like to see change in Washington, according to these mysterious comments via Stephen Whyno.
“I don’t know who’s going to be the coach next year but the leaders in this group have to be together and don’t look, you know. … I don’t know how to explain better, but sometimes you don’t have to be jealous,” Ovechkin said. “I don’t want to say it was a jealous situation for us, but sometimes you just have to be a group together.”
Well, that’s interesting and more than a little cryptic. Whyno pried a little further to try to get more from Ovechkin on the subject of “jealousy.”
“I don’t want to say persons, I don’t want to say situations, but sometimes you just know like, some guys, if you didn’t play well they just look at you like, you know,” Ovechkin said. “Of course, you can see it, I can see it and somebody else gonna see it and it’s not the way we gonna win the game.”
Well, that’s interesting … and rather cryptic. What’s more fun is to guess which “persons” and/or “situations” Ovechkin is referencing. I’ll leave that speculation to you,* but it’s obvious that the Capitals hope to make some serious changes going forward.
* – I’ll admit that I’d love to use an awful pun like “Mike Green with envy,” though. Oof that’s bad.
- Prust fined $5K for ‘baseless and demeaning’ Watson comments 16
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 42
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 15
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)