May 14, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
The knock you always get on the Detroit Red Wings each year is they’re an old team. With guys like Nicklas Lidstrom, Todd Bertuzzi, and Tomas Holmstrom around it’s easy to see why that would happen. Older guys will slow down and see their skills fade away – not so much in Lidstrom’s case, but still.
Ansar Khan of Mlive.com hears from Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill there’s youth on the way in the form of forwards Calle Jarnkrok, Teemu Pulkkinen and Tomas Jurco (pictured) and he’s very excited to see what they can do at the next level… Eventually.
“We’re very happy,” Nill said. “They all have high-end offensive skills.
“You need 2-3 players to become better than you projected. That’s what (Henrik) Zetterberg and (Pavel) Datsyuk did. We’re fortunate Zetterberg and Datsyuk came along. We’re still looking for the next wave of talent.”
Nill says all three will be invited to training camp in September and that they’ll see where they’re at. Add those three along with youngsters like Tomas Tatar and Gustav Nyqvist and what once looked like an aging team has a ton of hope for the future.
You don’t want to say the Wings are reloading rather than rebuilding, but they’ve got a heck of a case to make to a guy like Ryan Suter this summer when it may come time to sway his opinion on playing for Detroit rather than against them.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 12
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 23
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 55
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)