May 14, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
One of the major talking points following Los Angeles’ 4-2 win over Phoenix on Sunday was the disparity in shots.
The Kings put 48 on goal compared with the Coyotes, who countered with just 27. To some, that essentially tells the story of a one-sided affair.
To Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett, it doesn’t.
“The numbers last night, went through every single shot, every attempt,” Tippett told reporters on Monday. “I would question some of the numbers, some of the attempts at the net.
“But I’m not going to second guess the stats guys, that’s not what I want to do.”
(Uh, Dave? That’s pretty much what you did right there.)
The Kings were credited with 37 shots at even strength, six 5-on-4, two 4-on-5 and three 4-on-4. Leading the charge were Dustin Brown (seven), Anze Kopitar (six), Slava Voynov (six) and Dustin Penner (five).
Tippett said he can deal with the Coyotes giving up a lot of shots — 37.3 per game, most among all playoff teams — because those numbers are skewed somewhat due to overtime.
What he can’t deal with, though, is giving up quality scoring chances.
“I look at the quality we gave up last night, we gave up far more quality opportunities,” he explained. “Quantity I can deal with sometimes, but it’s the quality. We gave up far too many.”
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 23
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 132
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 24
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (132)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)