May 14, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
One of the major talking points following Los Angeles’ 4-2 win over Phoenix on Sunday was the disparity in shots.
The Kings put 48 on goal compared with the Coyotes, who countered with just 27. To some, that essentially tells the story of a one-sided affair.
To Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett, it doesn’t.
“The numbers last night, went through every single shot, every attempt,” Tippett told reporters on Monday. “I would question some of the numbers, some of the attempts at the net.
“But I’m not going to second guess the stats guys, that’s not what I want to do.”
(Uh, Dave? That’s pretty much what you did right there.)
The Kings were credited with 37 shots at even strength, six 5-on-4, two 4-on-5 and three 4-on-4. Leading the charge were Dustin Brown (seven), Anze Kopitar (six), Slava Voynov (six) and Dustin Penner (five).
Tippett said he can deal with the Coyotes giving up a lot of shots — 37.3 per game, most among all playoff teams — because those numbers are skewed somewhat due to overtime.
What he can’t deal with, though, is giving up quality scoring chances.
“I look at the quality we gave up last night, we gave up far more quality opportunities,” he explained. “Quantity I can deal with sometimes, but it’s the quality. We gave up far too many.”
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 9
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 67
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte