May 14, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
One of the major talking points following Los Angeles’ 4-2 win over Phoenix on Sunday was the disparity in shots.
The Kings put 48 on goal compared with the Coyotes, who countered with just 27. To some, that essentially tells the story of a one-sided affair.
To Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett, it doesn’t.
“The numbers last night, went through every single shot, every attempt,” Tippett told reporters on Monday. “I would question some of the numbers, some of the attempts at the net.
“But I’m not going to second guess the stats guys, that’s not what I want to do.”
(Uh, Dave? That’s pretty much what you did right there.)
The Kings were credited with 37 shots at even strength, six 5-on-4, two 4-on-5 and three 4-on-4. Leading the charge were Dustin Brown (seven), Anze Kopitar (six), Slava Voynov (six) and Dustin Penner (five).
Tippett said he can deal with the Coyotes giving up a lot of shots — 37.3 per game, most among all playoff teams — because those numbers are skewed somewhat due to overtime.
What he can’t deal with, though, is giving up quality scoring chances.
“I look at the quality we gave up last night, we gave up far more quality opportunities,” he explained. “Quantity I can deal with sometimes, but it’s the quality. We gave up far too many.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)