May 14, 2012, 6:13 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes got off to a terrible start in their series against the Los Angeles Kings. According to coach Dave Tippett, they “got beat in every facet of the game” last night in Glendale.
But the 4-2 loss to the Los Angeles Kings in Game 1 of the Western Conference final is behind them now. Game 2 goes Tuesday evening at Jobing.com Arena.
“Obviously we were not close to the level we needed to be at [yesterday],” goalie Mike Smith said today. “It showed in the score, in the result in the game. We need to be a lot better. Like I said, that game’s behind us now. We have to worry about Game 2 and come out with a way better effort.”
Added Smith: “We need to be more aggressive, play more to our capabilities, not let them come at us so hard.”
The Kings out-shot the Coyotes 17-4 in the first period and 48-27 overall (though Tippett disputes the final tally.)
“They dominated,” said Phoenix captain Shane Doan.
“They’re a confident group right now. They feel they can win in every building. I think they’ve won six in a row on the road.”
Indeed they have.
And with the series shifting back to Los Angles for Game 3 and 4, Coyotes forward Boyd Gordon stated the obvious: “I think if we come out there like we did in Game 1 we’re going to be in big trouble.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)