May 14, 2012, 6:13 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes got off to a terrible start in their series against the Los Angeles Kings. According to coach Dave Tippett, they “got beat in every facet of the game” last night in Glendale.
But the 4-2 loss to the Los Angeles Kings in Game 1 of the Western Conference final is behind them now. Game 2 goes Tuesday evening at Jobing.com Arena.
“Obviously we were not close to the level we needed to be at [yesterday],” goalie Mike Smith said today. “It showed in the score, in the result in the game. We need to be a lot better. Like I said, that game’s behind us now. We have to worry about Game 2 and come out with a way better effort.”
Added Smith: “We need to be more aggressive, play more to our capabilities, not let them come at us so hard.”
The Kings out-shot the Coyotes 17-4 in the first period and 48-27 overall (though Tippett disputes the final tally.)
“They dominated,” said Phoenix captain Shane Doan.
“They’re a confident group right now. They feel they can win in every building. I think they’ve won six in a row on the road.”
Indeed they have.
And with the series shifting back to Los Angles for Game 3 and 4, Coyotes forward Boyd Gordon stated the obvious: “I think if we come out there like we did in Game 1 we’re going to be in big trouble.”
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)