May 14, 2012, 6:13 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes got off to a terrible start in their series against the Los Angeles Kings. According to coach Dave Tippett, they “got beat in every facet of the game” last night in Glendale.
But the 4-2 loss to the Los Angeles Kings in Game 1 of the Western Conference final is behind them now. Game 2 goes Tuesday evening at Jobing.com Arena.
“Obviously we were not close to the level we needed to be at [yesterday],” goalie Mike Smith said today. “It showed in the score, in the result in the game. We need to be a lot better. Like I said, that game’s behind us now. We have to worry about Game 2 and come out with a way better effort.”
Added Smith: “We need to be more aggressive, play more to our capabilities, not let them come at us so hard.”
The Kings out-shot the Coyotes 17-4 in the first period and 48-27 overall (though Tippett disputes the final tally.)
“They dominated,” said Phoenix captain Shane Doan.
“They’re a confident group right now. They feel they can win in every building. I think they’ve won six in a row on the road.”
Indeed they have.
And with the series shifting back to Los Angles for Game 3 and 4, Coyotes forward Boyd Gordon stated the obvious: “I think if we come out there like we did in Game 1 we’re going to be in big trouble.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)