May 14, 2012, 6:13 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes got off to a terrible start in their series against the Los Angeles Kings. According to coach Dave Tippett, they “got beat in every facet of the game” last night in Glendale.
But the 4-2 loss to the Los Angeles Kings in Game 1 of the Western Conference final is behind them now. Game 2 goes Tuesday evening at Jobing.com Arena.
“Obviously we were not close to the level we needed to be at [yesterday],” goalie Mike Smith said today. “It showed in the score, in the result in the game. We need to be a lot better. Like I said, that game’s behind us now. We have to worry about Game 2 and come out with a way better effort.”
Added Smith: “We need to be more aggressive, play more to our capabilities, not let them come at us so hard.”
The Kings out-shot the Coyotes 17-4 in the first period and 48-27 overall (though Tippett disputes the final tally.)
“They dominated,” said Phoenix captain Shane Doan.
“They’re a confident group right now. They feel they can win in every building. I think they’ve won six in a row on the road.”
Indeed they have.
And with the series shifting back to Los Angles for Game 3 and 4, Coyotes forward Boyd Gordon stated the obvious: “I think if we come out there like we did in Game 1 we’re going to be in big trouble.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 15
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 110
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (111)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)