May 14, 2012, 6:13 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes got off to a terrible start in their series against the Los Angeles Kings. According to coach Dave Tippett, they “got beat in every facet of the game” last night in Glendale.
But the 4-2 loss to the Los Angeles Kings in Game 1 of the Western Conference final is behind them now. Game 2 goes Tuesday evening at Jobing.com Arena.
“Obviously we were not close to the level we needed to be at [yesterday],” goalie Mike Smith said today. “It showed in the score, in the result in the game. We need to be a lot better. Like I said, that game’s behind us now. We have to worry about Game 2 and come out with a way better effort.”
Added Smith: “We need to be more aggressive, play more to our capabilities, not let them come at us so hard.”
The Kings out-shot the Coyotes 17-4 in the first period and 48-27 overall (though Tippett disputes the final tally.)
“They dominated,” said Phoenix captain Shane Doan.
“They’re a confident group right now. They feel they can win in every building. I think they’ve won six in a row on the road.”
Indeed they have.
And with the series shifting back to Los Angles for Game 3 and 4, Coyotes forward Boyd Gordon stated the obvious: “I think if we come out there like we did in Game 1 we’re going to be in big trouble.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)