May 14, 2012, 8:04 PM EDT
Mike Heika passes along word from Stars goalie coach Mike Valley that Dallas Stars/Finnish netminder Kari Lehtonen‘s lower-body injury shouldn’t be too big of a concern. It will keep him from playing any more games for Finland in the 2012 World Hockey Championships, however.
“They’re still looking at everything, and there has been a lot of communication between doctors there and our trainer,” Valley said. “They’re not 100 percent sure what the injury is, but I’ve been told it is not a serious injury.”
CBA permitting, the Stars will start training camp in September and the regular season in October. That should give Lehtonen plenty of time to recover from the injury (which could be a groin/knee issue or possibly both), but it’s still not an ideal situation for the Stars.
Lehtonen suffered the mysterious injury when Bobby Ryan bowled him over during a 5-0 win for the US on Sunday:
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires