May 14, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Alexander Semin isn’t the only talented-but-disappointing free agent whose days with the Washington Capitals are essentially over. CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports that you can add Tomas Vokoun to the “departing” list.
“Tomas Vokoun said today he never intended on playing more than one season in DC”
Vokoun took a huge pay cut from his 2010-11 salary to the $1.5 million he made this season in attempt to chase a Stanley Cup. That obviously didn’t work out for him or the Capitals, but with most of the best potentially available goalies carrying caveats (such as being restricted free agents), Vokoun theoretically is still a desirable target.
Rumors are floating around from Russian Machine Never Breaks through Czech site iSport.cz that Vokoun is in talks with what will be a reconstructed Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team. Nick Kypreos reports Vokoun hasn’t agreed to a deal with Lokomotiv just yet and that “his first choice is to stay in the NHL.”
With the KHL’s provision that each team has the option of adding one returning NHL player who won’t count against the salary cap, it’s quite possible that a KHL team such as Lokomotiv might give Vokoun a more lucrative contract. Vokoun might also want to honor fellow Czech countrymen Josef Vasicek (a good friend of Vokoun’s), Jan Marek and Karel Rachunek who were on that team.
At the same time, he might feel like there’s still some unfinished business after a disappointing 2011-12 season and he should have a nice chunk of NHL suitors. He’d make a lot of sense for the Tampa Bay Lightning, Columbus Blue Jackets and any number of teams who would rather not give up assets to acquire a less-proven young backup such as Jonathan Bernier.
Either way, Vokoun will join Semin and possibly quite a few others who are exiting DC.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 0
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 47
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 22
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)