May 14, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
When you’re the eighth seed in the playoffs in either conference, being able to win on the road is something you must be able to do to move on. The Los Angeles Kings have found a way to not just be good at winning away from Staples Center, they’ve perfected it.
After taking out Phoenix in Game 1 last night, the Kings improved to 6-0 on the road in the playoffs. Mind you, the Kings have lost just once in the postseason as it is, a Game 4 loss to Vancouver in the first round, but with how L.A. is handling their business away from home you’d think their inspiration for winning was named Mad Max.
In their six road wins, the Kings are outscoring their home-ice advantaged opponents 22-10. It doesn’t take a math whiz to figure out scoring twice as many goals as your rival means you’re doing pretty darn well.
L.A. is averaging better than 3.5 goals per game and with how the playoffs have gone this year is usually more than cozy enough get you the win. Being able to put that many goals on the board against regular season stalwarts like Roberto Luongo, Brian Elliott and Mike Smith is impressive. Having Jonathan Quick on the Kings’ side to make it all stand up is why L.A. is making things look relatively simple.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
The Canucks forward has been fined twice but never suspended.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
Just replace Chris Pronger with his name from your previous jokes …
Oct 31, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT
Phaneuf as Spider-Man is … odd.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:30 AM EDT
Rookie Jonathan Drouin played less than 10 minutes in the win.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
Not quite a fight.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:34 AM EDT
Michel Therrien “That was a dirty hit to the head”
Oct 31, 2014, 1:01 AM EDT
Canucks conclude October with a 7-3 record.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:40 AM EDT
Picked up his 1,000th point.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
Scores twice in 5-0 win.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
Adds defensive depth.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Allegedly endorsed a New York Islanders pay check to cover gambling debt
Oct 30, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
End an 0-18 skid.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The play was reviewed and was ruled a good goal.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Collided with Alex Steen of the Blues.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Gets a lucky bounce off Zach Parise.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Absent from tonight’s game against the Blackhawks.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Was slow to the bench, but remains in the game.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Recovering from a lower body injury.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Nice feed to Kunitz
Oct 30, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Two big boys land some pretty good shots.
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 0
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 25
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 23
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)