May 14, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
If you judge Ron Wilson by his inability to bring the Toronto Maple Leafs to the playoffs, you’re ignoring a big chunk of his impressive coaching career. Perhaps the highlight of that time was when he helped the Washington Capitals make a surprise run to the 1998 Stanley Cup finals before the Detroit Red Wings dismissed them in little time. Combine that success and his ability to coach an attacking style (not to mention his willingness to embrace technology) and a reunion at least makes some sense.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie believes that there’s little chance of that actually happening, though.
“I know some are talking up Ron Wilson, Part Deux, in D.C., but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for that to happen.”
McKenzie is probably correct, but it doesn’t change the fact that Capitals GM George McPhee has some really tough questions to answer this season – starting with his new head coach and what direction the team will take. There are mixed feelings about how long McPhee will take to choose the next bench boss – some say before the draft, McKenzie says it could happen as late as August – yet either way this looks to be a pivotal summer for a franchise suffering from a bit of an identity crisis.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)