May 14, 2012, 8:49 PM EST
If you judge Ron Wilson by his inability to bring the Toronto Maple Leafs to the playoffs, you’re ignoring a big chunk of his impressive coaching career. Perhaps the highlight of that time was when he helped the Washington Capitals make a surprise run to the 1998 Stanley Cup finals before the Detroit Red Wings dismissed them in little time. Combine that success and his ability to coach an attacking style (not to mention his willingness to embrace technology) and a reunion at least makes some sense.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie believes that there’s little chance of that actually happening, though.
“I know some are talking up Ron Wilson, Part Deux, in D.C., but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for that to happen.”
McKenzie is probably correct, but it doesn’t change the fact that Capitals GM George McPhee has some really tough questions to answer this season – starting with his new head coach and what direction the team will take. There are mixed feelings about how long McPhee will take to choose the next bench boss – some say before the draft, McKenzie says it could happen as late as August – yet either way this looks to be a pivotal summer for a franchise suffering from a bit of an identity crisis.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 33
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)