May 14, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
If you judge Ron Wilson by his inability to bring the Toronto Maple Leafs to the playoffs, you’re ignoring a big chunk of his impressive coaching career. Perhaps the highlight of that time was when he helped the Washington Capitals make a surprise run to the 1998 Stanley Cup finals before the Detroit Red Wings dismissed them in little time. Combine that success and his ability to coach an attacking style (not to mention his willingness to embrace technology) and a reunion at least makes some sense.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie believes that there’s little chance of that actually happening, though.
“I know some are talking up Ron Wilson, Part Deux, in D.C., but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for that to happen.”
McKenzie is probably correct, but it doesn’t change the fact that Capitals GM George McPhee has some really tough questions to answer this season – starting with his new head coach and what direction the team will take. There are mixed feelings about how long McPhee will take to choose the next bench boss – some say before the draft, McKenzie says it could happen as late as August – yet either way this looks to be a pivotal summer for a franchise suffering from a bit of an identity crisis.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 3
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 2
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)