May 14, 2012, 8:49 PM EST
If you judge Ron Wilson by his inability to bring the Toronto Maple Leafs to the playoffs, you’re ignoring a big chunk of his impressive coaching career. Perhaps the highlight of that time was when he helped the Washington Capitals make a surprise run to the 1998 Stanley Cup finals before the Detroit Red Wings dismissed them in little time. Combine that success and his ability to coach an attacking style (not to mention his willingness to embrace technology) and a reunion at least makes some sense.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie believes that there’s little chance of that actually happening, though.
“I know some are talking up Ron Wilson, Part Deux, in D.C., but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for that to happen.”
McKenzie is probably correct, but it doesn’t change the fact that Capitals GM George McPhee has some really tough questions to answer this season – starting with his new head coach and what direction the team will take. There are mixed feelings about how long McPhee will take to choose the next bench boss – some say before the draft, McKenzie says it could happen as late as August – yet either way this looks to be a pivotal summer for a franchise suffering from a bit of an identity crisis.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)