May 14, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Lombardi confirmed this morning that Gagne, who has been out since he suffered a concussion on Dec. 26, has been cleared for contact, but Lombardi said Gagne will remain in Los Angeles and is a “long way from playing — needs to get hit.”
While Hammond says Gagne’s return “remains a long shot”, it’s still an interesting development.
The 32-year-old LW signed a two-year, $7 million deal with Los Angeles last summer with the expectation of being a top-six forward (he also contributed to the “Flyers West” theme that started with Mike Richards and assistant coach John Stevens, later continued with Lombardi’s trade deadline acquisition of Jeff Carter.)
In 34 games this year, Gagne had 7G-10A-17PTS. He’s currently skating with the Kings’ prospects/Black Aces and does not have a timetable for return to full practice.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 0
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 19
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20