May 14, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have been labelled – sometimes fairly, sometimes not so much – as a team that “can’t get it done” in the playoffs. The difference with the 2011-12 campaign is that they weren’t particularly effective in the regular season, either. Even so, many pundits believe that the franchise would be foolish to part ways with head coach Todd McLellan.
“He’s a great coach, and the guys love playing for him,” Thornton said. “Ultimately it’s up to [general manager Doug Wilson] and the ownership to make that call. As the captain, he’s a darn good coach.”
For the most part, the Sharks’ salary structure dictates that its current core will probably lead the way for at least the next season or through 2013-14. The instinct might be to blow everything up, but Thornton makes a good point about the deep and talented Western Conference.
“The parity is just so great,” Thornton said. “It sucks that we’re watching right now, but it’s tough to get in every year and go to the Western Conference finals. You kind of realize how hard it is to get there back-to-back years.”
“We had a lot of good teams in our conference this year, and the eight teams that made it in – number eight (Los Angeles) is still in it right now. It’s just so competitive.”
Thornton and many others would argue that McLellan gives them the best chance to remain competitive. Do you agree?
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 11
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22