May 14, 2012, 10:43 PM EST
For the first two periods, neither the New York Rangers nor the New Jersey Devils managed to find the net. Still, there was a sense that for at least Game 1, the Devils might just be a little better. That changed in the third period, however, as the Rangers found an extra gear and ultimately won it 3-0. (Which is a little more one-sided than it really was because of an empty-netter.)
Let’s get chatting.
- Henrik Lundqvist stopped all 21 shots while Martin Brodeur allowed two goals on 27 pucks that got to the Devils’ net. Can New Jersey win this series if it really comes down to Hank vs. Marty?
- The Rangers fans turned from mocking Alex Ovechkin at the 8:00 mark to doing the same for Ilya Kovalchuk at the 17:00 minute mark. Who should they tease if they manage to make it to the Stanley Cup finals? Shane Doan at the 19-minute mark? Anze Kopitar at 11? Share your best choices.
- New York blocked 26 Devils shots tonight. Can Peter DeBoer find a way to solve a system that New Jersey hasn’t really had to fight through in the playoffs yet?
- Zach Parise showed arguably the most burst for the Devils, firing five shots on goal including some dangerous shorthanded chances. Should John Tortorella worry that Parise’s a few bounces away from being a problem for New York?
- The Rangers got another game-winning goal from a blueliner; this time from Dan Girardi. Check it out below:
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)