May 14, 2012, 10:43 PM EDT
For the first two periods, neither the New York Rangers nor the New Jersey Devils managed to find the net. Still, there was a sense that for at least Game 1, the Devils might just be a little better. That changed in the third period, however, as the Rangers found an extra gear and ultimately won it 3-0. (Which is a little more one-sided than it really was because of an empty-netter.)
Let’s get chatting.
- Henrik Lundqvist stopped all 21 shots while Martin Brodeur allowed two goals on 27 pucks that got to the Devils’ net. Can New Jersey win this series if it really comes down to Hank vs. Marty?
- The Rangers fans turned from mocking Alex Ovechkin at the 8:00 mark to doing the same for Ilya Kovalchuk at the 17:00 minute mark. Who should they tease if they manage to make it to the Stanley Cup finals? Shane Doan at the 19-minute mark? Anze Kopitar at 11? Share your best choices.
- New York blocked 26 Devils shots tonight. Can Peter DeBoer find a way to solve a system that New Jersey hasn’t really had to fight through in the playoffs yet?
- Zach Parise showed arguably the most burst for the Devils, firing five shots on goal including some dangerous shorthanded chances. Should John Tortorella worry that Parise’s a few bounces away from being a problem for New York?
- The Rangers got another game-winning goal from a blueliner; this time from Dan Girardi. Check it out below:
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 14
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)