May 14, 2012, 10:43 PM EDT
For the first two periods, neither the New York Rangers nor the New Jersey Devils managed to find the net. Still, there was a sense that for at least Game 1, the Devils might just be a little better. That changed in the third period, however, as the Rangers found an extra gear and ultimately won it 3-0. (Which is a little more one-sided than it really was because of an empty-netter.)
Let’s get chatting.
- Henrik Lundqvist stopped all 21 shots while Martin Brodeur allowed two goals on 27 pucks that got to the Devils’ net. Can New Jersey win this series if it really comes down to Hank vs. Marty?
- The Rangers fans turned from mocking Alex Ovechkin at the 8:00 mark to doing the same for Ilya Kovalchuk at the 17:00 minute mark. Who should they tease if they manage to make it to the Stanley Cup finals? Shane Doan at the 19-minute mark? Anze Kopitar at 11? Share your best choices.
- New York blocked 26 Devils shots tonight. Can Peter DeBoer find a way to solve a system that New Jersey hasn’t really had to fight through in the playoffs yet?
- Zach Parise showed arguably the most burst for the Devils, firing five shots on goal including some dangerous shorthanded chances. Should John Tortorella worry that Parise’s a few bounces away from being a problem for New York?
- The Rangers got another game-winning goal from a blueliner; this time from Dan Girardi. Check it out below:
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 5
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 8
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 26
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)