May 14, 2012, 10:43 PM EDT
For the first two periods, neither the New York Rangers nor the New Jersey Devils managed to find the net. Still, there was a sense that for at least Game 1, the Devils might just be a little better. That changed in the third period, however, as the Rangers found an extra gear and ultimately won it 3-0. (Which is a little more one-sided than it really was because of an empty-netter.)
Let’s get chatting.
- Henrik Lundqvist stopped all 21 shots while Martin Brodeur allowed two goals on 27 pucks that got to the Devils’ net. Can New Jersey win this series if it really comes down to Hank vs. Marty?
- The Rangers fans turned from mocking Alex Ovechkin at the 8:00 mark to doing the same for Ilya Kovalchuk at the 17:00 minute mark. Who should they tease if they manage to make it to the Stanley Cup finals? Shane Doan at the 19-minute mark? Anze Kopitar at 11? Share your best choices.
- New York blocked 26 Devils shots tonight. Can Peter DeBoer find a way to solve a system that New Jersey hasn’t really had to fight through in the playoffs yet?
- Zach Parise showed arguably the most burst for the Devils, firing five shots on goal including some dangerous shorthanded chances. Should John Tortorella worry that Parise’s a few bounces away from being a problem for New York?
- The Rangers got another game-winning goal from a blueliner; this time from Dan Girardi. Check it out below:
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)