May 14, 2012, 11:33 PM EDT
More shots hit New York Rangers forwards and defensemen (26) than goalie Henrik Lundqvist (21) in the team’s 3-0 win against the New Jersey Devils in Game 1 tonight. Shot blocking has become a go-to concern for many onlookers and is a well-documented Rangers strategy, but Zach Parise and other Devils told reporters such as Tom Gulitti that it’s not that big of a worry.
“I feel like everyone is obsessed with this shot blocking because that’s what they’re doing,” Parise said. “A lot of teams block shots. We’ve just got to get it around.”
Peter DeBoer echoed Parise’s sentiments in the post-game press conference.
“I mean, you can’t get frustrated by something you expect,” DeBoer said. “We know that’s what they do. And you’ve got to find a way around it. We still generated enough offensive opportunities to score some goals tonight.”
Lundqvist was just good enough to shut down those big chances, such as a series of shorthanded attempts by Parise. DeBoer was probably right not to beat up too much on the Devils after a solid effort, although he did admit that New Jersey was a “little too cute” sometimes.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)