May 14, 2012, 11:33 PM EDT
More shots hit New York Rangers forwards and defensemen (26) than goalie Henrik Lundqvist (21) in the team’s 3-0 win against the New Jersey Devils in Game 1 tonight. Shot blocking has become a go-to concern for many onlookers and is a well-documented Rangers strategy, but Zach Parise and other Devils told reporters such as Tom Gulitti that it’s not that big of a worry.
“I feel like everyone is obsessed with this shot blocking because that’s what they’re doing,” Parise said. “A lot of teams block shots. We’ve just got to get it around.”
Peter DeBoer echoed Parise’s sentiments in the post-game press conference.
“I mean, you can’t get frustrated by something you expect,” DeBoer said. “We know that’s what they do. And you’ve got to find a way around it. We still generated enough offensive opportunities to score some goals tonight.”
Lundqvist was just good enough to shut down those big chances, such as a series of shorthanded attempts by Parise. DeBoer was probably right not to beat up too much on the Devils after a solid effort, although he did admit that New Jersey was a “little too cute” sometimes.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)