May 14, 2012, 11:33 PM EDT
More shots hit New York Rangers forwards and defensemen (26) than goalie Henrik Lundqvist (21) in the team’s 3-0 win against the New Jersey Devils in Game 1 tonight. Shot blocking has become a go-to concern for many onlookers and is a well-documented Rangers strategy, but Zach Parise and other Devils told reporters such as Tom Gulitti that it’s not that big of a worry.
“I feel like everyone is obsessed with this shot blocking because that’s what they’re doing,” Parise said. “A lot of teams block shots. We’ve just got to get it around.”
Peter DeBoer echoed Parise’s sentiments in the post-game press conference.
“I mean, you can’t get frustrated by something you expect,” DeBoer said. “We know that’s what they do. And you’ve got to find a way around it. We still generated enough offensive opportunities to score some goals tonight.”
Lundqvist was just good enough to shut down those big chances, such as a series of shorthanded attempts by Parise. DeBoer was probably right not to beat up too much on the Devils after a solid effort, although he did admit that New Jersey was a “little too cute” sometimes.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 8
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 36
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 16
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)