May 14, 2012, 11:47 PM EDT
Moments before Chris Kreider buried an insurance 2-0 goal in the third period of a 3-0 New York Rangers Game 1 win, it appeared that Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto closed his hand on a puck and passed it along the boards in his own zone. That would normally be a minor penalty but it went undetected by referees and that Kreider goal followed shortly afterward.
Apparently it went undetected by the Devils too, though.
Tom Gulitti reports that Zach Parise, Adam Henrique and Peter DeBoer all admitted that they didn’t see the Del Zotto would-be infraction. DeBoer wasn’t eager to use that missed penalty as an excuse, either.
“I don’t know; I haven’t looked at the tape,” DeBoer said. “It was irrelevant. That wasn’t why we lost. But I didn’t see that.”
Perhaps DeBoer and the Devils’ thoughts might change once they see replays of the situation, yet they deserve credit for accepting their end of the situation.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 28
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 91
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 47
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63