May 14, 2012, 11:47 PM EST
Moments before Chris Kreider buried an insurance 2-0 goal in the third period of a 3-0 New York Rangers Game 1 win, it appeared that Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto closed his hand on a puck and passed it along the boards in his own zone. That would normally be a minor penalty but it went undetected by referees and that Kreider goal followed shortly afterward.
Apparently it went undetected by the Devils too, though.
Tom Gulitti reports that Zach Parise, Adam Henrique and Peter DeBoer all admitted that they didn’t see the Del Zotto would-be infraction. DeBoer wasn’t eager to use that missed penalty as an excuse, either.
“I don’t know; I haven’t looked at the tape,” DeBoer said. “It was irrelevant. That wasn’t why we lost. But I didn’t see that.”
Perhaps DeBoer and the Devils’ thoughts might change once they see replays of the situation, yet they deserve credit for accepting their end of the situation.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)