May 14, 2012, 2:56 PM EDT
Before the Capitals were eliminated, forward Brooks Laich emphatically declared he wanted coach Dale Hunter back behind the bench next season.
“Why wouldn’t I?” said Laich. “Absolutely. He’s been great.”
So that’s one Washington player we can assume wasn’t thrilled to hear that Hunter won’t be sticking around.
Another player we can put in the disappointed category is star center Nicklas Backstrom.
“I really wanted to see him back next year but unfortunately he’s not,” said Backstrom, as per the Washington Post. “It’s not good.”
Alex Ovechkin might not be so broken up with the news. The Caps’ captain was forced to take on a reduced role during the playoffs, something he admitted wasn’t the easiest thing to accept. That said, he did acknowledge he “learned a lot” from Hunter.
“It doesn’t matter if I like it or not, because he’s my coach and I have to listen,” Ovechkin said. “How he said, you have to be a plumber. So I was a plumber.”
Hunter briefly touched on his relationship with Ovechkin in today’s news conference, as per CSNWashington.com.
“Definitely we had player-coach talk, like don’t pressure on yourself, it’s a team a game out here and we need everyone to play,” said Hunter. “Everybody needs to do the little things to win and that’s how we were able to battle a great team.”
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 0
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 15
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)