May 14, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
The ratings from the 2012 playoffs’ quarterfinals and semifinals are in and it appears that hockey fans are responding to the wall-to-wall coverage provided under NBC Universal’s umbrella of networks. The first two rounds are the “most watched on record,” dating back to when cable program data first became available starting in 1994.
NBC sent out a press release with plenty of interesting nuggets on ratings overall and from specific series and games. Here are some of the highlights.
- Conference semifinals games across NBC, NBC Sports Network & CNBC averaged 1.32 million viewers, a 28 percent increase from 2011.
- More specifically, viewership on NBC Sports Network jumped 43 percent from last year, with an average of 1.29 million viewers marking the best numbers for any single cable network.
- Game 7 of the Washington Capitals-New York Rangers series was the second-most watched playoff game on cable in 2012 (1.68 million viewers).
- The total playoff audience is up 23 percent from 2011. (To be more specific, more than 39 million viewers tuned in versus about 32.2 million last year.)
Rangers and Capitals numbers
Here are a few market-specific bits from the press release:
- In New York, Rangers-Capitals Game 7 received a 4.8 HH (household) rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for a NHL game on the NBC Sports Network. The telecast was up 129 % vs. 2008’s two-game average (2.07).
- In Washington, Rangers-Capitals Game 7 received a 7.67 HH rating, the second-highest local rating ever in the market for a NHL game on the NBC Sports Network. The telecast was up 19% vs. the market’s 2011 Semifinal average (6.45).
Coyotes and Kings Game 1
- In Los Angeles, Game 1 received a 2.14 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for a NHL game on the NBC Sports Network.
- In Phoenix, Game 1 received a 5.56 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for a NHL game on the NBC Sports Network.
So long story short, the ratings have been great in 2012.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 27
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)