May 13, 2012, 9:04 PM EDT
In the grand scheme of things, Los Angles Kings goalie Jonathan Quick is a star and perhaps the future of Team USA goaltending. Even the best netminders look silly sometimes, though, and that was the case when a dominant first period for the Kings was largely washed away when Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Derek Morris beat Quick from center ice:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Ouch. Something tells me that clip won’t be part of Quick’s Vezina Trophy nominee video highlight package.
You might say that Quick joins Chris Osgood, Tommy Salo, Dan Cloutier and other netminders known for allowing goals from far out, but he already did last year. St. Louis Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo scored a similar goal against Quick on March 17, 2011.
Hey, at least it humanizes a goalie who can sometimes look superhuman, right?
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 10
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22