May 13, 2012, 8:58 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings dominated the first period of Game 1 against the Phoenix Coyotes, generating a lofty 16-4 shot disadvantage. Less than four minutes in, Dustin Brown created some havoc to open up space for Anze Kopitar, who fired a beauty of a backhander by Mike Smith.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Unfortunately for the Kings, a surprising (but not unprecedented) goal from center ice allowed the Coyotes to finish the first period tied 1-1. Stay tuned for that stunning bit that Jonathan Quick likely wishes he could delete from existence.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22