May 13, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Was the Washington Capitals’ 2-1 loss to the New York Rangers in Game 7 of the second round, Mike Knuble’s final game? He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and will turn 40 on July 4.
It wouldn’t be surprising if Knuble decided to hang up his skates. While he’s had a great career, 2011-12 was probably something of a personal disappointment. After recording at least 20 goals and 40 points in eight straight campaigns, Knuble had just six goals and 18 points in 72 contests this season.
Still, maybe the Capitals’ invigorating playoff convinced him to play at least one more season.
“These games and these series, the playoffs, they do a lot for your internal fire,” Knuble said. “They make you realize why you want to play. We’ll see what happens down the line.”
He probably won’t get a lot of playing time with Washington if he comes back and there’s a chance tgat the Capitals will decide to move on. However, after the season the playoff run the Capitals had, Knuble might be part of something special if he ends up playing for Washington in 2012-13.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)