May 13, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Was the Washington Capitals’ 2-1 loss to the New York Rangers in Game 7 of the second round, Mike Knuble’s final game? He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and will turn 40 on July 4.
It wouldn’t be surprising if Knuble decided to hang up his skates. While he’s had a great career, 2011-12 was probably something of a personal disappointment. After recording at least 20 goals and 40 points in eight straight campaigns, Knuble had just six goals and 18 points in 72 contests this season.
Still, maybe the Capitals’ invigorating playoff convinced him to play at least one more season.
“These games and these series, the playoffs, they do a lot for your internal fire,” Knuble said. “They make you realize why you want to play. We’ll see what happens down the line.”
He probably won’t get a lot of playing time with Washington if he comes back and there’s a chance tgat the Capitals will decide to move on. However, after the season the playoff run the Capitals had, Knuble might be part of something special if he ends up playing for Washington in 2012-13.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 9
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)