May 13, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Was the Washington Capitals’ 2-1 loss to the New York Rangers in Game 7 of the second round, Mike Knuble’s final game? He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and will turn 40 on July 4.
It wouldn’t be surprising if Knuble decided to hang up his skates. While he’s had a great career, 2011-12 was probably something of a personal disappointment. After recording at least 20 goals and 40 points in eight straight campaigns, Knuble had just six goals and 18 points in 72 contests this season.
Still, maybe the Capitals’ invigorating playoff convinced him to play at least one more season.
“These games and these series, the playoffs, they do a lot for your internal fire,” Knuble said. “They make you realize why you want to play. We’ll see what happens down the line.”
He probably won’t get a lot of playing time with Washington if he comes back and there’s a chance tgat the Capitals will decide to move on. However, after the season the playoff run the Capitals had, Knuble might be part of something special if he ends up playing for Washington in 2012-13.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)