May 13, 2012, 9:50 AM EST
Was the Washington Capitals’ 2-1 loss to the New York Rangers in Game 7 of the second round, Mike Knuble’s final game? He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and will turn 40 on July 4.
It wouldn’t be surprising if Knuble decided to hang up his skates. While he’s had a great career, 2011-12 was probably something of a personal disappointment. After recording at least 20 goals and 40 points in eight straight campaigns, Knuble had just six goals and 18 points in 72 contests this season.
Still, maybe the Capitals’ invigorating playoff convinced him to play at least one more season.
“These games and these series, the playoffs, they do a lot for your internal fire,” Knuble said. “They make you realize why you want to play. We’ll see what happens down the line.”
He probably won’t get a lot of playing time with Washington if he comes back and there’s a chance tgat the Capitals will decide to move on. However, after the season the playoff run the Capitals had, Knuble might be part of something special if he ends up playing for Washington in 2012-13.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)