May 13, 2012, 9:50 AM EST
Was the Washington Capitals’ 2-1 loss to the New York Rangers in Game 7 of the second round, Mike Knuble’s final game? He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and will turn 40 on July 4.
It wouldn’t be surprising if Knuble decided to hang up his skates. While he’s had a great career, 2011-12 was probably something of a personal disappointment. After recording at least 20 goals and 40 points in eight straight campaigns, Knuble had just six goals and 18 points in 72 contests this season.
Still, maybe the Capitals’ invigorating playoff convinced him to play at least one more season.
“These games and these series, the playoffs, they do a lot for your internal fire,” Knuble said. “They make you realize why you want to play. We’ll see what happens down the line.”
He probably won’t get a lot of playing time with Washington if he comes back and there’s a chance tgat the Capitals will decide to move on. However, after the season the playoff run the Capitals had, Knuble might be part of something special if he ends up playing for Washington in 2012-13.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)