May 13, 2012, 6:37 PM EDT
For years, it seemed like Alexander Semin and Alex Ovechkin would be inexorably linked. Both are committed to playing for Russian during international tournaments and cut their teeth in the NHL with the Washington Capitals. Tarik El-Bashir reports that the dangling duo will represent Russia in the 2012 World Hockey Championships after losing to the New York Rangers in Game 7 on Saturday, so the tradition continues … for now.
Going forward, Semin and Ovechkin might only play on the same side – or even in the same league – when they play for Russia, though. While Ovechkin is locked down for the rest of his prime with Washington, Semin faces an uncertain future as an unrestricted free agent.
It’s hard to imagine the Capitals signing him again after handing him two one-year deals, especially since the team is shifting to a defensive-minded system that even his greatest defenders would agree doesn’t amplify his skill set. Any number of NHL teams might be interested in acquiring his services (and thus ignoring possibly unfair criticisms about how much he “cares”), but with the new provisions introduced by the KHL, there are probably a few teams in his native country who might entice him with home cooking and tax breaks as well.
Overall, the courtship of Semin might be awfully interesting, but almost every reasonable sign suggests that he’ll be seeing a lot less of Ovechkin in the near future.
Then again, a lot can change between now and July 1.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 7
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 16
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 46
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 85
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (85)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control