May 13, 2012, 6:01 PM EST
Despite a rough season that rocked the league, the KHL still seems primed to try to wrestle away top players from the NHL. Slava Malamud reports that the KHL announced that “returning Russian NHL players” won’t count against the league’s salary cap.
Malamud reveals that KHL teams will only be allowed to sign one player according to that new standard, but it opens the door for deeper-pocketed clubs to shoot for a big name. Strangely, national team coaches would need to deem a player “worthy” of being excluded from salary cap consideration first, though.
The most obvious names that stand out are soon-to-be free agent wingers Alexander Semin (unrestricted, Washington Capitals) and Alex Radulov (restricted, Nashville Predators). Both boast boatloads of talent and some baggage with their NHL clubs. The lure of big bucks and perhaps more positive media scrutiny might beat whatever a prospective NHL team would offer, but we’ll have to wait and see.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)