May 13, 2012, 10:45 AM EST
The New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils are rivals in every sense of the word. They are in the same division, geographically close, and have a long playoff history. This will be the sixth time that these two squads have met in the playoffs in roughly two decades.
“It’s good for hockey, good for the fans, and good for everyone else,” New Jersey’s Dainius Zubrus said of the upcoming series. “A lot of people around here wanted this. The only exception was in 2006 when the Devils swept the Rangers.
“Since the day I arrived in New Jersey, I sensed that this is The Rivalry. And I like that stuff.”
The Rangers have been the much more successful team in these two franchise’s postseason meetings. New York has eliminated the Devils in four of their previous five opportunities.
Still, the Devils have a great team and have already vanquished one major Stanley Cup contender in the Philadelphia Flyers. After having their hands full with the Ottawa Senators and Washington Capitals, the New York Rangers are in for yet another tough series.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)