May 13, 2012, 11:55 PM EDT
Phoenix coach Dave Tippett was brutally honest after his team was beaten, 4-2, by the Los Angeles Kings in Game 1 of the Western Conference final.
“We weren’t close in that game,” said Tippett. “We got beat in every facet of the game. Hopefully we can take some lessons from it and we can be better next game.”
Among the stats that support Tippett’s take:
—- The Coyotes were outshot 48-27.
—- Their power play went 0-for-5 and registered just four shots in almost eight minutes with the man advantage.
—- They even got dominated in the faceoff circle, winning 30 draws and losing 40.
And we won’t even get into the needless penalties and defensive breakdowns.
On the bright side, if you’re going to lose Game 1, sometimes it’s good to get embarrassed. Something tells us the Coyotes will give a better effort Tuesday when they’ve moved past the realization they’re in the conference final and arrived at the realization they’ll be in deep trouble if they don’t get a win.
“The execution and the will to get things done is going to have to improve greatly if we’re going to have a chance in this series,” said Tippett.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
The full interview airs on Costas Tonight this Thursday, Mar. 13 at 12:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
i.e., do Pierre Karl Peladeau’s political aspirations hurt the chances of the Nordiques being reborn in Quebec City?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
“I am not going to comment on specific things about John. It is unfair to him.”
Mar 12, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
How has Colorado done it?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Now the man in charge of Southampton F.C.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
The feat comes during one of the toughest stretches of his career, though.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
He was injured against Florida on Sunday.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
The Habs have five straight wins against Boston.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t happy about their game, either.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
And an interesting one overall for the East.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Another memorable save for the icon.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
That’s eight in a row for Pittsburgh between these two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
On the bright side, there’s the Batmobile.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pens have won seven in a row vs. Washington, including Monday.
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 12
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 28
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)