May 13, 2012, 11:55 PM EDT
Phoenix coach Dave Tippett was brutally honest after his team was beaten, 4-2, by the Los Angeles Kings in Game 1 of the Western Conference final.
“We weren’t close in that game,” said Tippett. “We got beat in every facet of the game. Hopefully we can take some lessons from it and we can be better next game.”
Among the stats that support Tippett’s take:
—- The Coyotes were outshot 48-27.
—- Their power play went 0-for-5 and registered just four shots in almost eight minutes with the man advantage.
—- They even got dominated in the faceoff circle, winning 30 draws and losing 40.
And we won’t even get into the needless penalties and defensive breakdowns.
On the bright side, if you’re going to lose Game 1, sometimes it’s good to get embarrassed. Something tells us the Coyotes will give a better effort Tuesday when they’ve moved past the realization they’re in the conference final and arrived at the realization they’ll be in deep trouble if they don’t get a win.
“The execution and the will to get things done is going to have to improve greatly if we’re going to have a chance in this series,” said Tippett.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)