May 13, 2012, 2:15 PM EST
Martin Brodeur might not be the biggest Rangers fan, but he’s got a lot of respect for them.
That was the message the day after New York beat Washington 2-1 in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, advancing to a showdown with New Jersey for a shot at the Stanley Cup.
Brodeur, who has a lengthy history with the Rangers, spoke with Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger about watching last night’s affair.
“I think we’re playing the best team,” Brodeur said.
It’s fair to suggest that, as a goalie, Brodeur feels this way because of who’s manning the Rangers’ net — Henrik Lundqvist. The Hart and Vezina Trophy nominee has yet to allow more than three goals in a game this spring and has allowed two or less in 10 games.
“He’s the Vezina contender,” Brodeur explained. “He’s kind of the top goalie in the NHL right now. For me it’s kind of nice to be able to compete against him. I’ll do my best to try to match up.”
Having read this, don’t go getting fooled into thinking Brodeur’s set for a Rangers love-in. This is the same guy, after all, who said “I hate the Rangers” in his autobiography and recently claimed this hatred goes all the way back to 1992.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)