May 13, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur might not be the biggest Rangers fan, but he’s got a lot of respect for them.
That was the message the day after New York beat Washington 2-1 in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, advancing to a showdown with New Jersey for a shot at the Stanley Cup.
Brodeur, who has a lengthy history with the Rangers, spoke with Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger about watching last night’s affair.
“I think we’re playing the best team,” Brodeur said.
It’s fair to suggest that, as a goalie, Brodeur feels this way because of who’s manning the Rangers’ net — Henrik Lundqvist. The Hart and Vezina Trophy nominee has yet to allow more than three goals in a game this spring and has allowed two or less in 10 games.
“He’s the Vezina contender,” Brodeur explained. “He’s kind of the top goalie in the NHL right now. For me it’s kind of nice to be able to compete against him. I’ll do my best to try to match up.”
Having read this, don’t go getting fooled into thinking Brodeur’s set for a Rangers love-in. This is the same guy, after all, who said “I hate the Rangers” in his autobiography and recently claimed this hatred goes all the way back to 1992.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)