May 13, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur might not be the biggest Rangers fan, but he’s got a lot of respect for them.
That was the message the day after New York beat Washington 2-1 in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, advancing to a showdown with New Jersey for a shot at the Stanley Cup.
Brodeur, who has a lengthy history with the Rangers, spoke with Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger about watching last night’s affair.
“I think we’re playing the best team,” Brodeur said.
It’s fair to suggest that, as a goalie, Brodeur feels this way because of who’s manning the Rangers’ net — Henrik Lundqvist. The Hart and Vezina Trophy nominee has yet to allow more than three goals in a game this spring and has allowed two or less in 10 games.
“He’s the Vezina contender,” Brodeur explained. “He’s kind of the top goalie in the NHL right now. For me it’s kind of nice to be able to compete against him. I’ll do my best to try to match up.”
Having read this, don’t go getting fooled into thinking Brodeur’s set for a Rangers love-in. This is the same guy, after all, who said “I hate the Rangers” in his autobiography and recently claimed this hatred goes all the way back to 1992.
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 9
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 35
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 33
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 107
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (107)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful