May 13, 2012, 2:15 PM EST
Martin Brodeur might not be the biggest Rangers fan, but he’s got a lot of respect for them.
That was the message the day after New York beat Washington 2-1 in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, advancing to a showdown with New Jersey for a shot at the Stanley Cup.
Brodeur, who has a lengthy history with the Rangers, spoke with Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger about watching last night’s affair.
“I think we’re playing the best team,” Brodeur said.
It’s fair to suggest that, as a goalie, Brodeur feels this way because of who’s manning the Rangers’ net — Henrik Lundqvist. The Hart and Vezina Trophy nominee has yet to allow more than three goals in a game this spring and has allowed two or less in 10 games.
“He’s the Vezina contender,” Brodeur explained. “He’s kind of the top goalie in the NHL right now. For me it’s kind of nice to be able to compete against him. I’ll do my best to try to match up.”
Having read this, don’t go getting fooled into thinking Brodeur’s set for a Rangers love-in. This is the same guy, after all, who said “I hate the Rangers” in his autobiography and recently claimed this hatred goes all the way back to 1992.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)