May 13, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Mats Sundin and Daniel Alfredsson were known as heated rivals back when the Battle of Ontario was at its peak. However, now retired, Sundin had some friendly advice for Alfredsson as the Senators captain considers hanging up his skates.
“We talked about (retirement) a while back,” said Sundin. “I told (Alfredsson) he would know himself. No one else can tell you.
“To play at the NHL level, there is so much training you must do in the off-season. And there comes a time you just don’t have the desire anymore. Nobody else can tell you when that time comes. You just know yourself. That’s what I told him.”
It could be weeks before we find out if Alfredsson still has that drive. He is signed through the 2012-13 campaign, but he hasn’t committed to finishing his contract.
That said, if Alfredsson decides to return, he’ll make a lot of Senators’ fans very happy. There’s currently an online petition dedicated to showing him how passionately Ottawa wants him back.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 4
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 10
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)