May 13, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
Mats Sundin and Daniel Alfredsson were known as heated rivals back when the Battle of Ontario was at its peak. However, now retired, Sundin had some friendly advice for Alfredsson as the Senators captain considers hanging up his skates.
“We talked about (retirement) a while back,” said Sundin. “I told (Alfredsson) he would know himself. No one else can tell you.
“To play at the NHL level, there is so much training you must do in the off-season. And there comes a time you just don’t have the desire anymore. Nobody else can tell you when that time comes. You just know yourself. That’s what I told him.”
It could be weeks before we find out if Alfredsson still has that drive. He is signed through the 2012-13 campaign, but he hasn’t committed to finishing his contract.
That said, if Alfredsson decides to return, he’ll make a lot of Senators’ fans very happy. There’s currently an online petition dedicated to showing him how passionately Ottawa wants him back.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)