May 13, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Mats Sundin and Daniel Alfredsson were known as heated rivals back when the Battle of Ontario was at its peak. However, now retired, Sundin had some friendly advice for Alfredsson as the Senators captain considers hanging up his skates.
“We talked about (retirement) a while back,” said Sundin. “I told (Alfredsson) he would know himself. No one else can tell you.
“To play at the NHL level, there is so much training you must do in the off-season. And there comes a time you just don’t have the desire anymore. Nobody else can tell you when that time comes. You just know yourself. That’s what I told him.”
It could be weeks before we find out if Alfredsson still has that drive. He is signed through the 2012-13 campaign, but he hasn’t committed to finishing his contract.
That said, if Alfredsson decides to return, he’ll make a lot of Senators’ fans very happy. There’s currently an online petition dedicated to showing him how passionately Ottawa wants him back.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5