May 13, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Mats Sundin and Daniel Alfredsson were known as heated rivals back when the Battle of Ontario was at its peak. However, now retired, Sundin had some friendly advice for Alfredsson as the Senators captain considers hanging up his skates.
“We talked about (retirement) a while back,” said Sundin. “I told (Alfredsson) he would know himself. No one else can tell you.
“To play at the NHL level, there is so much training you must do in the off-season. And there comes a time you just don’t have the desire anymore. Nobody else can tell you when that time comes. You just know yourself. That’s what I told him.”
It could be weeks before we find out if Alfredsson still has that drive. He is signed through the 2012-13 campaign, but he hasn’t committed to finishing his contract.
That said, if Alfredsson decides to return, he’ll make a lot of Senators’ fans very happy. There’s currently an online petition dedicated to showing him how passionately Ottawa wants him back.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)