May 13, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Mats Sundin and Daniel Alfredsson were known as heated rivals back when the Battle of Ontario was at its peak. However, now retired, Sundin had some friendly advice for Alfredsson as the Senators captain considers hanging up his skates.
“We talked about (retirement) a while back,” said Sundin. “I told (Alfredsson) he would know himself. No one else can tell you.
“To play at the NHL level, there is so much training you must do in the off-season. And there comes a time you just don’t have the desire anymore. Nobody else can tell you when that time comes. You just know yourself. That’s what I told him.”
It could be weeks before we find out if Alfredsson still has that drive. He is signed through the 2012-13 campaign, but he hasn’t committed to finishing his contract.
That said, if Alfredsson decides to return, he’ll make a lot of Senators’ fans very happy. There’s currently an online petition dedicated to showing him how passionately Ottawa wants him back.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic