May 12, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils fans can breathe a sigh of relief after Anton Volchenkov and Marek Zidlicky showed up for Saturday’s practice. Both players were victims of huge hits in Game 5 on Tuesday of the Devils’ second round series against the Philadelphia Flyers. New Jersey won that game and has been waiting to find out who their opponent for the Eastern Conference Finals will be.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer previously said that he expects them to play in Game 1 of the next round, but neither player participated in Thursday’s practice. New Jersey didn’t have a practice scheduled for Friday.
Losing Zidlicky in particular would have been problematic for the Devils as he’s the team’s postseason leader in playing time per game and has been a significant part of their success with the man advantage. Volchenkov is more of a defensive defenseman and has been limited to 15:21 minutes per contest in the playoffs.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)