May 12, 2012, 10:14 PM EDT
There are plenty of things that tend to separate “hardcore” hockey fans from “casual” ones, but generally speaking, yelling “SHOOOOOT” is generally frowned upon in the puck snob community. Even so, there are times when the most restrained of us get that instinct. This impressive bit of puck possession for the Washington Capitals in Game 7 is a good example of that; they clearly had the New York Rangers on the ropes, but couldn’t cash in.
Some point to Henrik Lundqvist‘s stellar play to explain the ultimately fruitless play. Others also believe that shot-blocking and lane-clogging had a bigger impact.
Yet when you watch Roman Hamrlik and Mike Green exchange passes while they (seemingly) offer half-hearted faked shots, this clip turns into a bit of a “What if?” scenario. You can’t beat up the Caps for an impressive run of control there – and New York’s desperation can be summarized by Artem Anisimov‘s sprawling clear – yet it’s hard not to wonder if one of those Washington blueliners should have pulled the trigger.
Either way, it’s a pretty stunning clip, especially since the Rangers ending up winning by one (albeit 2-1).This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 15
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 11
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 26
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 56
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)