May 12, 2012, 10:14 PM EST
There are plenty of things that tend to separate “hardcore” hockey fans from “casual” ones, but generally speaking, yelling “SHOOOOOT” is generally frowned upon in the puck snob community. Even so, there are times when the most restrained of us get that instinct. This impressive bit of puck possession for the Washington Capitals in Game 7 is a good example of that; they clearly had the New York Rangers on the ropes, but couldn’t cash in.
Some point to Henrik Lundqvist‘s stellar play to explain the ultimately fruitless play. Others also believe that shot-blocking and lane-clogging had a bigger impact.
Yet when you watch Roman Hamrlik and Mike Green exchange passes while they (seemingly) offer half-hearted faked shots, this clip turns into a bit of a “What if?” scenario. You can’t beat up the Caps for an impressive run of control there – and New York’s desperation can be summarized by Artem Anisimov‘s sprawling clear – yet it’s hard not to wonder if one of those Washington blueliners should have pulled the trigger.
Either way, it’s a pretty stunning clip, especially since the Rangers ending up winning by one (albeit 2-1).This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 0
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 7
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)