May 12, 2012, 10:14 PM EDT
There are plenty of things that tend to separate “hardcore” hockey fans from “casual” ones, but generally speaking, yelling “SHOOOOOT” is generally frowned upon in the puck snob community. Even so, there are times when the most restrained of us get that instinct. This impressive bit of puck possession for the Washington Capitals in Game 7 is a good example of that; they clearly had the New York Rangers on the ropes, but couldn’t cash in.
Some point to Henrik Lundqvist‘s stellar play to explain the ultimately fruitless play. Others also believe that shot-blocking and lane-clogging had a bigger impact.
Yet when you watch Roman Hamrlik and Mike Green exchange passes while they (seemingly) offer half-hearted faked shots, this clip turns into a bit of a “What if?” scenario. You can’t beat up the Caps for an impressive run of control there – and New York’s desperation can be summarized by Artem Anisimov‘s sprawling clear – yet it’s hard not to wonder if one of those Washington blueliners should have pulled the trigger.
Either way, it’s a pretty stunning clip, especially since the Rangers ending up winning by one (albeit 2-1).This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)