May 12, 2012, 10:14 PM EDT
There are plenty of things that tend to separate “hardcore” hockey fans from “casual” ones, but generally speaking, yelling “SHOOOOOT” is generally frowned upon in the puck snob community. Even so, there are times when the most restrained of us get that instinct. This impressive bit of puck possession for the Washington Capitals in Game 7 is a good example of that; they clearly had the New York Rangers on the ropes, but couldn’t cash in.
Some point to Henrik Lundqvist‘s stellar play to explain the ultimately fruitless play. Others also believe that shot-blocking and lane-clogging had a bigger impact.
Yet when you watch Roman Hamrlik and Mike Green exchange passes while they (seemingly) offer half-hearted faked shots, this clip turns into a bit of a “What if?” scenario. You can’t beat up the Caps for an impressive run of control there – and New York’s desperation can be summarized by Artem Anisimov‘s sprawling clear – yet it’s hard not to wonder if one of those Washington blueliners should have pulled the trigger.
Either way, it’s a pretty stunning clip, especially since the Rangers ending up winning by one (albeit 2-1).
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 0
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 3
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 45
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 81
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1