May 12, 2012, 11:46 PM EST
John Tortorella is a big reason why this New York Rangers team has (seemingly) overachieved more often than not under his watch. Still, his fondest coaching memories likely came during his time with the Tampa Bay Lightning, when he helped them win a Stanley Cup. Torts reflected on the effect big playoff wins can have, as he told ESPN’s Katie Strang.
“This is where your legacy is made, the playoffs,” Tortorella said.
Tortorella is notorious for … frosty press conferences, so his post-Game 7 spiel was relatively verbose. He shared his philosophy on home ice advantage (it’s “garbage” until Game 7 rolls around) and praised his team’s efforts in the third period, calling it one of their best.
Most Rangers players tempered their enthusiasm with the inevitable “we’re not done yet” caveat, but it’s pretty clear from the locker room and press conference commentaries that the Rangers are happy with their efforts.
One could argue that they’ll need a more consistent output in the Eastern Conference finals, however, as they’ll face their division rivals the New Jersey Devils, who are hotter and more talented than their No. 6 seed would suggest.
(They also have quite the legacy of their own.)
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)