May 12, 2012, 11:46 PM EDT
John Tortorella is a big reason why this New York Rangers team has (seemingly) overachieved more often than not under his watch. Still, his fondest coaching memories likely came during his time with the Tampa Bay Lightning, when he helped them win a Stanley Cup. Torts reflected on the effect big playoff wins can have, as he told ESPN’s Katie Strang.
“This is where your legacy is made, the playoffs,” Tortorella said.
Tortorella is notorious for … frosty press conferences, so his post-Game 7 spiel was relatively verbose. He shared his philosophy on home ice advantage (it’s “garbage” until Game 7 rolls around) and praised his team’s efforts in the third period, calling it one of their best.
Most Rangers players tempered their enthusiasm with the inevitable “we’re not done yet” caveat, but it’s pretty clear from the locker room and press conference commentaries that the Rangers are happy with their efforts.
One could argue that they’ll need a more consistent output in the Eastern Conference finals, however, as they’ll face their division rivals the New Jersey Devils, who are hotter and more talented than their No. 6 seed would suggest.
(They also have quite the legacy of their own.)
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)