May 12, 2012, 7:45 PM EST
There was some dour news from an otherwise lighthearted presser in Phoenix today — Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett confirmed defenseman Adrian Aucoin wouldn’t play on Sunday in the Western Conference finals opener against Los Angeles.
“He won’t play tomorrow,” Tippett told reporters. “He certainly won’t be a player in Game 1. He skated a little bit today. I think we’ll monitor his situation, but he won’t be a player in Game 1.”
Aucoin was injured early Monday’s series-clinching win against Nashville and hasn’t returned to the ice since.
As with most postseason ailments, Aucoin’s isn’t being disclosed — though he did miss a game of the Chicago series to injury as well. It’s unclear if what’s bothering him now is what bothered him then, but Phoenix ruling him out a full day before Game 1 suggests the injury is serious.
It’s likely that David Schlemko will draw back into the Coyotes lineup and replace Aucoin, who had been playing close to 18 minutes a night. Schlemko’s played three games this postseason, averaging 17 minutes per.
The injury must be a disappointment for Aucoin, 38. A veteran of over 60 playoff games, he’s never played in a conference final.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 18
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)