May 12, 2012, 11:23 PM EDT
The New York Rangers still need to win eight more playoff games to win a Stanley Cup this year, but Henrik Lundqvist already shook a monkey off his back. The Washington Capitals bounced his Rangers out of the playoffs twice before – once in a Game 7, then last year – so Lundqvist told Andrew Gross and others that it probably added a little extra urgency.
“Losing two series against them, it felt like we needed to get this one,” Lundqvist said.
(One cannot help but wonder if Lundqvist used the wrong pronoun and instead should have said “I needed to get this one.”)
With this win, the Rangers are now 5-0 in franchise history when they play Game 7 contests at Madison Square Garden. John Tortorella might have captured the vibe best – and as only he can – by calling home ice advantage “garbage” until that deciding contest comes along. Torts admitted that having those matches at MSG made a difference.
“It’s an accomplishment,” Boyle said. “We’re not satisfied yet. But it was a lot of fun to play in that one.”
If the Rangers keep winning, then the fun’s only about to begin.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
“I don’t think there’s any question that we’re behind what the league has done.”
Oct 21, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Click to hear what those “values” entailed.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Former Coyote faces his former team tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Still no timeline for his return.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
Could Devan Dubnyk take a run at Mike Smith’s job?
Oct 21, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Pretty strong vote of confidence right there.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Scott Darling recalled from AHL Rockford.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Skating on a line with Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
The flip-side being…what if they lose?
Oct 21, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
“It’s something I really want to see,” said head coach Lindy Ruff.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Another addition to the front office.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The top 2015 draft prospect has impressed the Islanders’ superstar.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
He had been recovering from shoulder surgery.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Both players have missed the start of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
And they’ll face Antti Raanta in goal.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Get out the swear jar.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Yeah, he was.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)