May 12, 2012, 11:42 AM EST
Jeff Carter and Mike Richards both signed long-term deals with the Philadelphia Flyers, so when they were traded to separate teams, it wasn’t unrealistic to assume they’d never be on the same NHL team again. However, through an unexpected turn of events, Carter and Richards have been reunited in Los Angeles.
“It’s pretty crazy,” Carter said. “I never thought I’d end up here, especially this quick. Obviously I’m happy with how it turned out, and I love the beach, so it’s a perfect fit.”
It is believed that Carter wasn’t nearly as enthusiastic about playing with Columbus when he was traded there over the summer. His stint didn’t last long and was counterproductive for the Blue Jackets. However, that’s in the past and now Carter and Richards have an opportunity to accomplish something that they fell just short of in Philadelphia: win a Stanley Cup.
If they end up winning it all just a year after being dealt by Philadelphia, it probably won’t bother Flyers GM Paul Holmgren.
“I hope for the best for Mike and Jeff,” Holmgren said. “I hope they do win the Stanley Cup at some point. They’re both good kids. That’s what they’re playing the game of hockey for, to win, so good for them. I’m happy the way it’s worked out for us.”
It’s worth adding that while the Kings have been a big success story during the playoffs, Carter in particular has left something to be desired. He has just a goal and four points in nine postseason contests. He’s capable of much more and he could break out at any time.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)