May 12, 2012, 11:42 AM EDT
Jeff Carter and Mike Richards both signed long-term deals with the Philadelphia Flyers, so when they were traded to separate teams, it wasn’t unrealistic to assume they’d never be on the same NHL team again. However, through an unexpected turn of events, Carter and Richards have been reunited in Los Angeles.
“It’s pretty crazy,” Carter said. “I never thought I’d end up here, especially this quick. Obviously I’m happy with how it turned out, and I love the beach, so it’s a perfect fit.”
It is believed that Carter wasn’t nearly as enthusiastic about playing with Columbus when he was traded there over the summer. His stint didn’t last long and was counterproductive for the Blue Jackets. However, that’s in the past and now Carter and Richards have an opportunity to accomplish something that they fell just short of in Philadelphia: win a Stanley Cup.
If they end up winning it all just a year after being dealt by Philadelphia, it probably won’t bother Flyers GM Paul Holmgren.
“I hope for the best for Mike and Jeff,” Holmgren said. “I hope they do win the Stanley Cup at some point. They’re both good kids. That’s what they’re playing the game of hockey for, to win, so good for them. I’m happy the way it’s worked out for us.”
It’s worth adding that while the Kings have been a big success story during the playoffs, Carter in particular has left something to be desired. He has just a goal and four points in nine postseason contests. He’s capable of much more and he could break out at any time.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)