May 12, 2012, 9:55 AM EST
“What I lived through this season I wouldn’t wish to an enemy,” Bryzgalov said – and that’s not the only headline-worthy nugget he’s given this season. If fact, he might have provided some of the most interesting quotes of the 2011-12 campaign.
We’ve gained insight into his personality and learned that, like Stephen Colbert, he has a fear of bears. That’s great and all, but his employers would probably wish he didn’t try to be as quotable as Colbert too.
“His job is to stop pucks and help us win games,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said. “It’s not Comedy Central.”
Holmgren took a big risk when he traded away Mike Richards and Jeff Carter while almost simultaneously signing Bryzgalov to a nine-year/$51 million contract. He has a lot riding on Bryzgalov and so far, things haven’t played out like he planned.
“Did he play as good as I expected this year,” Holmgren asked. “I’d probably say, no.”
That being said, Holmgren hasn’t given up on Bryzgalov.
“I absolutely think being here a year will help him,” Holmgren said.
All we know for certain is that one year is in the books and there’s eight more to go on that contract.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 14
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 5
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 32
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11