May 12, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
“What I lived through this season I wouldn’t wish to an enemy,” Bryzgalov said – and that’s not the only headline-worthy nugget he’s given this season. If fact, he might have provided some of the most interesting quotes of the 2011-12 campaign.
We’ve gained insight into his personality and learned that, like Stephen Colbert, he has a fear of bears. That’s great and all, but his employers would probably wish he didn’t try to be as quotable as Colbert too.
“His job is to stop pucks and help us win games,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said. “It’s not Comedy Central.”
Holmgren took a big risk when he traded away Mike Richards and Jeff Carter while almost simultaneously signing Bryzgalov to a nine-year/$51 million contract. He has a lot riding on Bryzgalov and so far, things haven’t played out like he planned.
“Did he play as good as I expected this year,” Holmgren asked. “I’d probably say, no.”
That being said, Holmgren hasn’t given up on Bryzgalov.
“I absolutely think being here a year will help him,” Holmgren said.
All we know for certain is that one year is in the books and there’s eight more to go on that contract.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 7
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 23
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 56
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (56)