May 12, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
For those looking for some afternoon reading as we await Game 7 at Madison Square Garden, we recommend Allan Maki’s look back at the Flyers-Canadiens pre-game brawl on May 14, 1987, that will celebrate (congratulations?) its 25th anniversary on Monday.
The infamous brawl was sparked by none other than Montreal’s Claude Lemieux, though not because he did anything particularly egregious – he simply kept shooting the puck into Philadelphia’s net at the end of the pre-game warm-up.
The incident also led the NHL to implement an automatic 10-game suspension for any player leaving the bench to fight.
We’ll let Maki tell the rest of the tale.
Or you can just watch it for yourself:
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 27
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 91
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 45
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 74
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63