May 12, 2012, 10:11 PM EDT
The New York Rangers needed all 14 games, but ultimately, they’re right where a No. 1 seed “should” be: the Eastern Conference finals. The Washington Capitals nearly beat them at their own grinding, defense-first game, but ultimately New York did just enough to win Game 7 by a score of 2-1. They’ll face local rivals the New Jersey Devils for the right to play in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals.
Let’s get to the questions.
- You’d think a gold medal would quiet doubters in the first place, but was Game 7 even sweeter for Henrik Lundqvist, who hasn’t had much playoff success in an otherwise remarkable career?
- The Rangers haven’t earned many style points so far in the playoffs, but the bottom line is that they’re 3-0 in must-win games so far (two elimination contests against Ottawa, one against Washington). Will New York wear down or do the Rangers simply thrive amid that discomfort?
- Shifting to the Capitals, is there anyone you’d “blame” in particular for falling in the semifinals? Alexander Semin received his usual round of critiques in some circles.
- Did Dale Hunter wait too long to open things up in the third period or was he simply “dancing with the girl who got him there”?
- Speaking of which, the Capitals have pleased many who believe in winning based on a certain style – defensive minded, shot-blocking and not very pretty – but the wide-open Washington teams peaked at Game 7 of the second round, too. Is a collapsing, more “conventional” style the best way to get the most out of this group?
- The Capitals came into the season with Stanley Cup aspirations, then drastically reduced expectations before a solid playoff run. So, let me ask Caps fans: are you satisfied or wondering “What if?”
Oct 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Get out the swear jar.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Yeah, he was.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Now, can they hang on for the win?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
Talking about the Oilers perhaps trading one of their young players.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Heavy hit along the boards.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Already has seven points in seven games this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)