May 12, 2012, 10:11 PM EDT
The New York Rangers needed all 14 games, but ultimately, they’re right where a No. 1 seed “should” be: the Eastern Conference finals. The Washington Capitals nearly beat them at their own grinding, defense-first game, but ultimately New York did just enough to win Game 7 by a score of 2-1. They’ll face local rivals the New Jersey Devils for the right to play in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals.
Let’s get to the questions.
- You’d think a gold medal would quiet doubters in the first place, but was Game 7 even sweeter for Henrik Lundqvist, who hasn’t had much playoff success in an otherwise remarkable career?
- The Rangers haven’t earned many style points so far in the playoffs, but the bottom line is that they’re 3-0 in must-win games so far (two elimination contests against Ottawa, one against Washington). Will New York wear down or do the Rangers simply thrive amid that discomfort?
- Shifting to the Capitals, is there anyone you’d “blame” in particular for falling in the semifinals? Alexander Semin received his usual round of critiques in some circles.
- Did Dale Hunter wait too long to open things up in the third period or was he simply “dancing with the girl who got him there”?
- Speaking of which, the Capitals have pleased many who believe in winning based on a certain style – defensive minded, shot-blocking and not very pretty – but the wide-open Washington teams peaked at Game 7 of the second round, too. Is a collapsing, more “conventional” style the best way to get the most out of this group?
- The Capitals came into the season with Stanley Cup aspirations, then drastically reduced expectations before a solid playoff run. So, let me ask Caps fans: are you satisfied or wondering “What if?”
Mar 27, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Plenty of goals in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
The club says he’s expected to make a full recovery.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
New York plays twice this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
They play in Philadelphia on Saturday.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Feb. 24.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Terriers move one step closer to the Frozen Four.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
“In the middle of the ice in our system, it’s a lot of work.”
Mar 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
And, quite possibly, for the remainder of the season.
Mar 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Nail-biting time for Bruins fans.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Joins Pavel Datsyuk and Erik Cole on the shelf.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Vancouver laid another egg last night versus the Avs.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Because things aren’t trending in a good direction for him.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Three straight road wins has the Kings looking postseason-bound.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
“We’re on the course that we set two months ago when we made the decision that Ells was going to be the guy, and we’re not changing that course.”
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Red Wings host the Sharks tomorrow.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Russian sophomore has missed nearly the entire season with a hip ailment.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 54
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (54)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)