May 12, 2012, 10:11 PM EDT
The New York Rangers needed all 14 games, but ultimately, they’re right where a No. 1 seed “should” be: the Eastern Conference finals. The Washington Capitals nearly beat them at their own grinding, defense-first game, but ultimately New York did just enough to win Game 7 by a score of 2-1. They’ll face local rivals the New Jersey Devils for the right to play in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals.
Let’s get to the questions.
- You’d think a gold medal would quiet doubters in the first place, but was Game 7 even sweeter for Henrik Lundqvist, who hasn’t had much playoff success in an otherwise remarkable career?
- The Rangers haven’t earned many style points so far in the playoffs, but the bottom line is that they’re 3-0 in must-win games so far (two elimination contests against Ottawa, one against Washington). Will New York wear down or do the Rangers simply thrive amid that discomfort?
- Shifting to the Capitals, is there anyone you’d “blame” in particular for falling in the semifinals? Alexander Semin received his usual round of critiques in some circles.
- Did Dale Hunter wait too long to open things up in the third period or was he simply “dancing with the girl who got him there”?
- Speaking of which, the Capitals have pleased many who believe in winning based on a certain style – defensive minded, shot-blocking and not very pretty – but the wide-open Washington teams peaked at Game 7 of the second round, too. Is a collapsing, more “conventional” style the best way to get the most out of this group?
- The Capitals came into the season with Stanley Cup aspirations, then drastically reduced expectations before a solid playoff run. So, let me ask Caps fans: are you satisfied or wondering “What if?”
Mar 9, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
The appetite to make a change seems to be growing.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Detroit has lost its Wild Card spot.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
The once promising rookie was put on waivers by Ottawa.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
He’s scored in every New Jersey game since the Olympics.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
That’s on top of all the talent they traded away.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Can Johan Franzen maintain his incredible post-Olympics pace?
Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The 21-year-old is making the transition from the KHL.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
It helped lead St. Louis to its fourth straight win.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Buffalo hasn’t been so bad lately, despite what the team looks like on paper.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They both desperately need every point they can get.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
His No. 9 ascends to the rafters.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 0
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)