May 12, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT
Peter DeBoer knows who he’ll be cheering for tonight.
Specifically, the scoreboard clock. DeBoer would like to see it run for as long as possible as the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals decide who will face New Jersey in the Eastern Conference finals.
“The longer the better,” he said, when ask who (or what) he would be rooting for.
DeBoer is relishing the opportunity to sit back and relax while the Rangers and Capitals slug it out. The way he sees it, you can’t get too much R&R come playoff time.
“I don’t think there’s such a thing as too much rest this time of year,” DeBoer told NHL.com. “We have to stay sharp. That’s [the coaches’] job, to manage the schedule and days off so we’re ready to go Game 1. That’s on the coaching staff to manage it properly. I wouldn’t want to trade spots with someone playing a Game 7 right now.”
This is a pretty stark contrast to the situation New Jersey found itself in after Round 1. The Devils were the last team to advance — needing a double-OT Game 7 win over Florida — and only had two days off before starting Round 2 against Philadelphia. They lost the opening game, but went on to beat the Flyers in four straight.
As such, Devils forward Alexei Ponikarovsky feels the length of tonight’s Caps-Rangers game is irrelevant.
“Doesn’t matter for me,” he said. “Maybe it’s going to end in regulation. If it doesn’t it’s not a big deal for us. We’ll just wait and see who comes out on top.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)