May 12, 2012, 2:34 PM EDT
Normally we wouldn’t think much of a newspaper giving hockey the front-page treatment. In most NHL markets, it happens all the time. However, we thought this was kind of neat.
The Arizona Republic is the state’s largest newspaper and, according to its website, reaches 1.5 million readers per week. Which is to say, a lot of people saw this.
The accompanying story by columnist John D’Anna is worth the read as well.
A brief excerpt:
Several months ago, one of my bosses told me that the only way the Phoenix Coyotes would ever appear on the front page was if they won the Stanley Cup or if they left town for good.
But if there’s one thing I know after 30 years of newspapering, it’s that readers love a good story. And the Phoenix Coyotes are a good story.
So, here I am, writing a story for the front page on what makes our team and this sport so special and its fans so passionate.
There’s also a GOP slugfest on the horizon.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 6
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 15
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)