May 12, 2012, 2:34 PM EDT
Normally we wouldn’t think much of a newspaper giving hockey the front-page treatment. In most NHL markets, it happens all the time. However, we thought this was kind of neat.
The Arizona Republic is the state’s largest newspaper and, according to its website, reaches 1.5 million readers per week. Which is to say, a lot of people saw this.
The accompanying story by columnist John D’Anna is worth the read as well.
A brief excerpt:
Several months ago, one of my bosses told me that the only way the Phoenix Coyotes would ever appear on the front page was if they won the Stanley Cup or if they left town for good.
But if there’s one thing I know after 30 years of newspapering, it’s that readers love a good story. And the Phoenix Coyotes are a good story.
So, here I am, writing a story for the front page on what makes our team and this sport so special and its fans so passionate.
There’s also a GOP slugfest on the horizon.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)