May 12, 2012, 2:34 PM EST
Normally we wouldn’t think much of a newspaper giving hockey the front-page treatment. In most NHL markets, it happens all the time. However, we thought this was kind of neat.
The Arizona Republic is the state’s largest newspaper and, according to its website, reaches 1.5 million readers per week. Which is to say, a lot of people saw this.
The accompanying story by columnist John D’Anna is worth the read as well.
A brief excerpt:
Several months ago, one of my bosses told me that the only way the Phoenix Coyotes would ever appear on the front page was if they won the Stanley Cup or if they left town for good.
But if there’s one thing I know after 30 years of newspapering, it’s that readers love a good story. And the Phoenix Coyotes are a good story.
So, here I am, writing a story for the front page on what makes our team and this sport so special and its fans so passionate.
There’s also a GOP slugfest on the horizon.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)