May 12, 2012, 2:34 PM EDT
Normally we wouldn’t think much of a newspaper giving hockey the front-page treatment. In most NHL markets, it happens all the time. However, we thought this was kind of neat.
The Arizona Republic is the state’s largest newspaper and, according to its website, reaches 1.5 million readers per week. Which is to say, a lot of people saw this.
The accompanying story by columnist John D’Anna is worth the read as well.
A brief excerpt:
Several months ago, one of my bosses told me that the only way the Phoenix Coyotes would ever appear on the front page was if they won the Stanley Cup or if they left town for good.
But if there’s one thing I know after 30 years of newspapering, it’s that readers love a good story. And the Phoenix Coyotes are a good story.
So, here I am, writing a story for the front page on what makes our team and this sport so special and its fans so passionate.
There’s also a GOP slugfest on the horizon.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)