May 12, 2012, 11:09 PM EDT
While the New York Rangers feel good about how they handled Game 7 tonight, the Washington Capitals aren’t pleased with their 2-1 loss – or the notion that this season isn’t a disappointment.
“We didn’t play our best game, didn’t have enough fight – enough grit,” Alzner said. “I’m going to view it as an underachieved season. I know a lot of people don’t feel the same way.”
His teammate Brooks Laich agrees, though. Stephen Whyno gathers the gutsy forward’s thoughts on Washington’s season as a whole.
“I don’t think we exceeded anybody’s expectations,” Laich said. “We certainly had more aspirations than how the season turned out.”
Alex Ovechkin‘s actions probably portrayed his feelings about the loss more than any quotes, though. Much like Joel Ward reacted after a crushing double-minor helped to doom Washington in Game 5, Ovechkin reportedly sat at his locker in full gear, contemplating the tough defeat for several minutes. As hard as this often-criticized team fought in Game 7, the result is ultimately the same: a long summer full of tough questions and difficult memories.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 17
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)