May 12, 2012, 11:09 PM EST
While the New York Rangers feel good about how they handled Game 7 tonight, the Washington Capitals aren’t pleased with their 2-1 loss – or the notion that this season isn’t a disappointment.
“We didn’t play our best game, didn’t have enough fight – enough grit,” Alzner said. “I’m going to view it as an underachieved season. I know a lot of people don’t feel the same way.”
His teammate Brooks Laich agrees, though. Stephen Whyno gathers the gutsy forward’s thoughts on Washington’s season as a whole.
“I don’t think we exceeded anybody’s expectations,” Laich said. “We certainly had more aspirations than how the season turned out.”
Alex Ovechkin‘s actions probably portrayed his feelings about the loss more than any quotes, though. Much like Joel Ward reacted after a crushing double-minor helped to doom Washington in Game 5, Ovechkin reportedly sat at his locker in full gear, contemplating the tough defeat for several minutes. As hard as this often-criticized team fought in Game 7, the result is ultimately the same: a long summer full of tough questions and difficult memories.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 5
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)