May 12, 2012, 11:09 PM EDT
While the New York Rangers feel good about how they handled Game 7 tonight, the Washington Capitals aren’t pleased with their 2-1 loss – or the notion that this season isn’t a disappointment.
“We didn’t play our best game, didn’t have enough fight – enough grit,” Alzner said. “I’m going to view it as an underachieved season. I know a lot of people don’t feel the same way.”
His teammate Brooks Laich agrees, though. Stephen Whyno gathers the gutsy forward’s thoughts on Washington’s season as a whole.
“I don’t think we exceeded anybody’s expectations,” Laich said. “We certainly had more aspirations than how the season turned out.”
Alex Ovechkin‘s actions probably portrayed his feelings about the loss more than any quotes, though. Much like Joel Ward reacted after a crushing double-minor helped to doom Washington in Game 5, Ovechkin reportedly sat at his locker in full gear, contemplating the tough defeat for several minutes. As hard as this often-criticized team fought in Game 7, the result is ultimately the same: a long summer full of tough questions and difficult memories.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)