May 11, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
It wasn’t pretty by any means, but Team USA was able to overcome a frustrating and furious comeback from Kazakhstan to take their preliminary round match-up 3-2 in overtime at the World Championships in Finland.
The Americans headed into the third period tied up 1-1 before J.T. Brown scored early in the period to give Team USA a 2-1 lead. That lead would hold up until the 4:06 mark of the period when Talgat Zhailauov streaked in on backup goalie Richard Bachman, making a scheduled start in place of Jimmy Howard, and knotting the game up 2-2.
By going to overtime, the best either team could do is take two points in the standings instead of three for a regulation win. In overtime, Justin Faulk would take a great backhand feed from Max Pacioretty with 22 seconds left in the extra session to end it. Kazakh goalie Vitali Kolesnik (formerly of the Colorado Avalanche) would play well in defeat stopping 47 shots. Bachman finished with 17 saves.
With two points, Team USA holds on to third place, just two points behind Finland who dropped a 5-3 game to Canada this afternoon. With the win, Canada now jumps into first place, one point ahead of the Finns. Slovakia and Switzerland can pull to within one point of the Americans tomorrow with regulation wins.
Team USA’s next game is Sunday at 9:15 a.m. ET on NBCSN against Finland. A win would help Team USA move up in the standings and help them have a shot at clinching a spot in the quarterfinals.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)